For those that use a reward system for your children

How do you do your reward system and how old are your kids? I was thinking of starting one like if they get so many stickers they can earn computer time, video game time, tv time stuff like that, but not sure how to go about it. Like how many stickers? how much time on each thing? How do you go about it? My kids are 2, 5, and 8.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 8:25 AM on Oct. 28, 2013 in General Parenting

• oh and if they dont earn a sticker do i just not give them one for the day or do i also take one away?
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 8:26 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• mine get an allowance. the 3 year old gets 50 cents a week, 4 year old gets 75 cents a week, and 7 year old gets a dollar per week. for each chore they decide not to do they get 10 cents knocked off their weekly allowance. at the end of the month they can go to the dollar store and go nuts or choose to save it for something with a higher price tag.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• I don't offer rewards for things I expect of them. I do however remove privileges if they screw up.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• We had a sticker chart, (my boys are now grown). They could earn stickers through out the day for doing their chores, doing their homework, being caught doing something nice for a sibling, and other things, then at the end of the day they would get a sticker if they had no time outs all day.

My boys got an hour a day of video game time. Then they could earn extra video game time in 20 minite increments. I bought a roll of carnival tickets at Wal-Mart, each ticket was worth 20 minutes. If they earned a certain number of stickers they could get a ticket. Then they could save it for if they had friends over, or they could use it. At the end of the week if they had a certain number of stickers for the week....or several days with no time outs, they got another reward. Special time doing something with Dad or Mom, or something else depending on the week.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:41 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• It depends on how much time you want them spending on screen time/day. I would make it pretty easy to earn 1/2 hour but more difficult to earn more, so the sticker amount and value of each sticker should be based on that.

Answer by missanc at 9:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2013

• I use coins instead of stickers with my five-year-old. The two-year-old might be too young to really get the idea of the sticker chart. The biggest thing I've found is not to have too many things that will either earn rewards or get them taken away. It got confusing for my daughter with more than one or two behaviors being rewarded or discouraged at a time. So I pretty much use the coins to reinforce positive behavior like politeness or unexpected helpfulness, and I take coins away as a consequence for sass, arguing, or having a temper tantrum. I've left chores out of it, at least for now, because making them part of the system was just too overwhelming. Maybe we'll get to that later when the behaviors that are more of an issue right now have resolved themselves.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2013