Do private arms keep us safer or is it mostly a false sense of security?

I am sure most of you have already seen this story and/or read the headlines.

PHOENIX - Five people were found shot to death, including the suspected gunman, at a Phoenix apartment complex Saturday. Phoenix police spokesman Sgt. Tommy Thompson said officers responded to a shooting call around 9 a.m. near 17th Avenue and Hazelwood Street. Upon arriving at the scene, officers worked to identify where the gunshots came from, said Thompson. They eventually narrowed it down to two townhomes. Officers entered the first home and found the bodies of two adult males, a female and a teenage boy. Two of the victims were located on the patio and two others were found inside. The bodies of two dogs were also discovered. All were pronounced dead at the scene. Thompson said officers entered the second home, which was located nearby, and discovered the body of an individual believed to be the gunman. Police said the suspect, a man in his 50s, died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_phoenix_metro/central_phoenix/reports-of-heavy-police-presence-near-phoenix-townhomes#ixzz2j2EGpbLV

This statment is more to the heart of what I am asking about:

(from the comments)

HangEmMan

The sheer violence is why we carry guns in Arizona. To protect ourselves from monsters. We have a very high percentage of mentals, drug users, and zombie types here in Arizona. Stay alert and stay safe. Yesterday · 

So in the wake of 5 people being shot in their homes and more potential victim's that survived, this gentleman seems to be advocating that if everyone was armed in AZ they would all be safe, but the issue here is the shooting was in AZ, unless of course Phoenix has recently moved to another zip code.

Taken in conjunction with the WA armed teacher laws, do private arms keep us safer or is it mostly a false sense of security?

emptynstr

Asked by emptynstr at 12:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• It seems like many people forget that a gun is just a tool, its the mindset of the person, and would they be able to shoot and kill someone. No warning shots, no shooting in the leg, or the hand etc. It boils down to the question everyone should ask themselves when they buy a gun for defensive use whether it be for home or for yourself.. " Can I shoot and possibly kill a person if..." . Because it otherwise it is just an awkwardly shaped club.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• It doesn't give me a FALSE sense of security... rather a TRUE sense of security. Rest assured, you come through my door uninvited and you will be shot on the spot. No questions asked. There is nothing false about that shit.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• I don't have time to find all the links to the countless people who have shot intruders or held the would-be robbers until the police arrived. I'm not sure if some people will ever realize that a gun in the wrong hands is the problem, not law-abiding people who have the right to protect themselves & their loved ones.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:55 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• My opinion is that they do. If those people had been armed, the shooter would be dead (a given because it was happening no matter the method) possibly others would also be dead or injured but some of them might have been able to protect themselves.
    A lot depends on the details as to the outcome.

My vote is not only yes, but hell yes.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:58 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• I believe a reasonable person with a gun can defend himself and others in many situations. When an unreasonable person, someone who is mentally disturbed or has criminal intent and nothing to lose, gets a gun, sometimes there's just no viable protection at all. I see nothing wrong with law-abiding people who have sound judgment being armed. Unfortunately, all the laws in the world won't keep nut jobs and thugs from getting guns as well.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• depends on who is armed. a trained, responsible adult with no history of violent behavior living in a shady neighborhood or out in the country, yes. but sadly, a lot of the ppl i see IRL who want to carry their gun with them to every place all day long, as if they are being stalked by "bad" people, are not sane rational ppl. theres a line between protecting yourself, & dreaming youre going to save the world w/ your gun.

i also think it depends on the location. some places arent worth the risk of having semi-trained vigilantes shooting in the general direction of the bad guy. risking the lives of school children on a teacher who shot their first gun last week, is stupid. a trained police officer, not stupid. yes, ive heard the "but the bad guys will know we have guns & that will scare them off" ploy. they're called unstable/crazy for a reason...they dont think like normal ppl do.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• I don't know that more legal gun ownership would equate to a safer environment relating to the story you posted. I think there is more at play and while this is tragic, normal people don't go on a shooting rampage. It would be interesting to find out the mental and emotional state of the gunman prior to the attack, as well as knowing the capacity of his relationship with the victims.

Speaking from just a citizen point of view, I can understand the suggestion to arm yourself for protection (if you are personally comfortable with that responsibility), but I don't think that suggestion would have likely mattered in the case above. We, as citizens, have no reasonable expectation that police will be able to protect us from an attacker. If one is capable of legally owning and using a weapon responsibly, I am all in favor of that.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• Crime goes down when criminals know the homeowner is more likely to be armed.  Meanwhile, gun rights have been nonexistent for ages in the murder capital of the US

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• I believe in being proactive, preparing yourself for the "worst" in whatever form that may be. I think owning a gun and learning to us it is no different than preparing for a diaster. You might not have to ever use it, and it might even save your life, but the odds are better if you do prepare yourself.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• Just because a lot of people in Arizona have guns doesn't mean THIS family did. Maybe they didn't. Maybe they did but they were locked in a gunsafe and they couldn't get to them in time.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 1:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2013