How do I get my 16year old son to spend time with me

I work swing shifts and my son's main home is at his dad's. He is 16 and I never get to see him, I'm so heartbroken I don't know what to do. Please help.

BBCURTIS

Asked by BBCURTIS at 1:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• What does he like to do? When you have time off, go get him & do something he enjoys. You could also invite him over, fix him dinner & rent a movie he'd like to see. Swing shifts are hard & so is raising a teenager. But you have to make the time when you can. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• Do you have a good relationship with him? Could you find a hobby to do together?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• You invite him and make plans with him but I am going to lay odds that his dad sees a whole lot less of him than you might think. He is 16 and really can make his own choices in this.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• pick specific days to play boards games or hang out, go to a movie etc.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 1:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• When you can't be with him, text him and ask questions about his life. Not an interogation, but just keeping up with what he's doing and letting him know you're interested. Then when possible plan some special time doing something he might enjoy. Even just making pizza and watching a movie together. I have 3 sons. I used to take each of them out to lunch individually. They are all adults now, but we still do this on occasion. Just to keep up and find out what's going on in their lives.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• Bet your Ex does't see him much either. He is a teen. He does not want to spend time with his parents.. Bring him out to dinner once a week.

Answer by louise2 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• I take my son to dinner on a regular basis. We talk and enjoy ourselves. But, him and I have a great and close relationship.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2013