When do you cut out the morning nap?

I've read various things and was curious when others have cut out their baby's morning nap. My dd has not been taking an afternoon nap the past couple days, and I'm wondering if it's already time to go to just one nap or if there may be another reason she's not sleeping.

flalbert

Asked by flalbert at 3:21 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Whenever they don't need it anymore. If they fuss the whole time they are supposed to be sleeping, then they aren't sleepy.

Answer by Bmat at 3:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• we.. my friend works at a daycare and she said the kids take naps till there like 11. i thought that was bizzare but yea thats what she said.. if they dont sleep they have to quietly read a book or watch a movie silently.. no talking.. lol thats too old to me though..
    Anonymous

• I've heard not until they're closer to 1 1/2 or 2 but it all depends on your kid.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Don't they do nap time in preschool still?? I'm not sure.

I would say 2-3, but really just when they appear not to need one anymore.

DD stopped napping altogether at 15 months, we get about 1 nap a month out of her. i miss naptime! cherish it while you can!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 4:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• It seems like a couple people have misunderstood the question. I'm wondering when to go from two naps to one nap, not when to cut naps out completely.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 4:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• i transitioned mine from two naps to one at around 15-17 months, i think. it got to where my daughter wouldn't go to sleep when it was time for morning nap, she'd just lay in there and fuss or jibber-jabber for a long time. i think they should at least be older than one, but i guess it depends on the child. whenever you do it, fyi, she'll be a little fussy from the time she used to nap in the morning until her new naptime for about a week, then she'll be used to the one nap per day. it did take a few weeks for mine to work up to 2-3 hours for the one nap, though. for a while after i switched them it was only about 1 1/2 hours, but now they sleep for about 3 hours usually.
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 11:10 PM on Feb. 20, 2009