Ok,so a few have mentioned that they don't do Halloween for religious reasons,but none have explained WHY

What exactly does your religion say about it?
Is it because Jesus has not been injected into it,like Easter and Christmas? (Which both started as Pagan holidays)
And what religion are you exactly?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 5:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2013 in Holidays

•                                             meow

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• While I concede that there is no Bible verse that says "Thou shall not celebrate Halloween," the older I grow and the more I study the Bible, the more uncomfortable I am with Halloween. Dia de las Muertas seeks to honor the dead. Halloween, imo, doesn't. It deals with ghosts and vampires, ghouls and the undead, witches (the mean, nasty kind) and monsters - all with the intent of causing fear. Christians are told to dwell on things that are good and pure and wholesome. Halloween, after removing the kiddie-fest, doesn't fit that category.

My conservative congregation has no opinion concerning Halloween. I still allow my children to trick-or-treat, though I don't like it and don't allow scary costumes. These are completely my own thoughts after my own personal study. Halloween is my least favorite celebration of the year because it causes so much inner turmoil for me.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:10 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• "Halloween, imo, doesn't. It deals with ghosts and vampires, ghouls and the undead, witches (the mean, nasty kind) and monsters - all with the intent of causing fear. "

Except that traditional Halloween, Or All Hallows Eve (or more accurately, Samhain) does not celebrate that kind of thing. There is no intent to cause fear. Many of the Halloween traditions like trick or treating, jack o lanterns, etc. are old Celtic traditions that are associated with Samhain. For some stupid reason, people associate pagan traditions with the devil, I guess. But in reality, many of the Samhain traditions are to keep evil spirits away (bonfire and jack o lantern).

So while I respect the reasons people do not celebrate, I don't agree with the whole fear, monsters, devil worship thing as a valid reason. It's just not true. Besides, Halloween in the US today is just an excuse for kids to get free candy and adults to get drunk.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• I just wish people would stop with the 'Halloween is evil' line of thinking. Imo, that way if thinking is ignorant.

Halloween is a celebration of our ancestors who have gone before us. It is a time of keeping evil spirits at bay while the veil is the thinnest. It is a celebrationof the end of summer. It has nothing to do with any ridicoulous notions of 'evil' witches, devils, vampires, and whatever other idiotic creatures can be imagined. And the idea that is an evil holiday is an insult to me and my ancestors.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• I think some people just feel better about themselves, being "against" something, even if their reasons are a little lacking.

Even if we DO think about vampires, etc, none of it is real. I think a lot of the problem comes with thinking there really is some evil force in the world instead of accepting that we can have good, clean fun without it having to be "evil."
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• I am christian... and I celebrate Halloween. However, I have friends and family members who do not celebrate Halloween. And, I have heard their reasons why. I have come to believe that it's a belief that there are parts of Halloween that celebrate entities that are opposed to God. Beings, Energies, Forces, etc that do not represent God's will. So they choose just to absent themselves from the whole thing.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 9:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• In answer to your question, butterflyblue, yes, I am concerned about demons and other evil creatures on the other 364 days of the year.

bandgeek, evil exists, just as good does. And the line between the two is a lot more clear than our society wants us to think that it is.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:00 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• "bandgeek, evil exists, just as good does. And the line between the two is a lot more clear than our society wants us to think that it is."

I respectfully disagree.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• Good question. I also want to know why the no candy or caffeine? No stimulants?

I try to avoid it or the candy goes directly to my ass now that I'm 42, that is what my internal religion says.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• I consider Halloween a secular holiday, not evil or anti Christian, but we only celebrated by decorating, jack-o-lanterns, costumes and trick or treating.

I do however respect other people's right to see it differently and not celelbrate.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2013