For those that have a bedroom on a different floor than your kids

How do you hear them if they wake up at night? Just wondering. We have a long living room. Well we bought the house from my Uncle 6 years ago he lived her since I can remember before we bought it and ever since he lived here it has always been a long living room, but you can see were there use to be a wall to make another room, but since my Uncle lived here it didn't have a room either. So DH and I decided to put a wall back up so we can make our bed room down there then our 3 girls can all have their own rooms. Plus we are also putting a bathroom in our bedroom, but thing is I have an 8 year old 5 year old and 2 year old. The 8 year old already has her own room so for now the 2 year and 5 year old share until we get downstairs finished. My 8 and 5 year old would more than likely come downstairs if they would need something, but I am afraid of my 2 year old needing me and I not hear her because I am downstairs with her door and my door shut I am afraid I wont here her. I don't want to leave her bedroom door open yet as I don't want her to run the house while I am sleeping and she climbs a baby gate.

Another one is my grandma said I shouldn't put the kids upstairs alone with us downstairs incase there would be a fire or something what are your thought? I mean it is a little late now since we already started, but wont be done for a few more months and wanted to get thought?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2013 in General Parenting

• Ever heard of a baby monitor?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• My dad is a retired firefighter, he NEVER put kids on a floor with out adults, I have carried that tradition on. I would not be able to sleep if my kids were more than a room away from me. I do have friends who are up and kids are down, that sort of bug me too but atleast windows are on the ground floor.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• My oldest is on the ground floor, she's 14 but my youngest is 4 and on the main floor across the hall from our room. There is no possible way I could have the youngest on a different floor. In fact, the ground floor was supposed to be a master suite for dh and I but everything changed when we had our last one.
    The two kids shared a room for a while and we finally relented when DD was 12, and let her move downstairs.
    I guess a baby monitor would help, but eventually she will be able open her door, and then what?
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• I didn't know about buying a baby monitor since she is already 2 and honestly didn't even think of a monitor......DUH lol lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• My teens are in the basement and have been down there since they were 5 & 7. They always came to us when they needed something or if one was in real trouble, the other came. It worked out for us because it had to due to the way the house was built. If there is some trouble there is an exit from the house right by their rooms.

My 8 yr. old is down the hall from us, but will move downstairs with his brother soon. DD will then be near to us so we can keep on eye on her.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• Oh I hear my kids if they need me my DD has got quite a set of lungs on her
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2013

• I had baby monitors in my kids rooms until they were about 16 I guess. They simply never noticed them and most of the time neither did I until it blurted out something
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:13 AM on Oct. 29, 2013

• How mature is your 8 year old? Do they stay in their room at night? If so, put them downstairs and your guys stay upstairs with the younger two. Baby monitors are your friend well into older years.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:31 AM on Oct. 29, 2013

• The ones I have upstairs are older, but I can hear every move they all make because we have an old, poorly built house. And on the rare occasion I don't wake up DH does. But they're all old enough to yell too if they need something.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 10:19 AM on Oct. 29, 2013

• Personally I would NEVER put my children on a different floor then me for sleeping purposes. In your case I would consider putting the 8 year old downstairs and keeping my room upstairs. At the least you need to get a baby monitor.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2013