Dental emergency--please help!

I have state insurance due to the fact that my employer doesn't offer health insurance and I was denied private insurance because I took anti-depressants when I was going thru my divorce.

A while back, I chipped several teeth (due to grinding my teeth from the stress and not taking the best care of myself). I know it's my fault. Please don't judge me. I have not been able to find a dentist that will take my insurance. The other day, my mouth started hurting and I know it's from the chipped tooth. I've been taking excedrin for it and just trying to deal with it as I have NO money. A couple hrs ago, I was awakened by the worse ever mouth pain i have ever had. I took some tylenol and have been applying warm compresses. It helps some.

What do I do?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 3:36 AM on Oct. 29, 2013 in Health

• Oil of cloves can ease the pain for a little while. Most people do not have it in their homes though. I am told a whole clove will do the same but I would think the pod would irritate.
    Why should any one judge you. I have had lousy teeth most of my life. They just are. They chip and break and I grind my teeth also. I can go to the dentist on my insurance but I putt it off. I have spent so much time in a dentists office ans still have crappy teeth. It seems pointless so why go.

I agree with crafty though, call your provider. You are paying for the insurance and they need to have a dentist for you to go to. They should have a list.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:19 AM on Oct. 29, 2013

• Switch to ice!!! Heat can make the pain worse!! Call your insurance company and ask for a list of dentist that take your insurance!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:03 AM on Oct. 29, 2013

• If you don't have oil of clove--I never even heard of it--get some ground cloves, the powdered stuff in the spice aisle at the store that you use for baking. Wet your finger with your tongue or a drop of water, dip it in the ground cloves to make a paste, and smear it on the chipped parts of the teeth. Someone on this site told me to do that a year ago when I had the worst mouth pain ever, and I thought it sounded crazy, but I was desperate enough to try anything. I would personally give a big kiss and a hundred dollars to whoever it was that told me the remedy, if I could remember. It won't save you from a trip to the dentist, but it will keep you from going out of your mind with the pain in the meantime. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• antibiotics will work if it's infected but it'll still need work. My teeth got worse after my pregnancies and I've cracked my molars by grinding. Not fun at all and costly. Hope you feel better. If you were close, I'd give you my clove oil. I have it from the last time I freaked out and needed a root canal.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:10 AM on Oct. 30, 2013

• I'm on hold with the insurance company. I have a feeling that I'm not going to be able to talk to anyone tonight. This hurts so bad. And I'm out of excedrin. All I have is children's tylenol so I need to run to the store anyway. I will look for oil of clove and/or ground cloves.

And of course I won't be able to see a dentist tonight but hopefully I can at least have a number for 1 so I can call on my break tomorrow and hopefully get something set up.

I've thought about going to the walk-in clinic to see if they can give me the antibiotics. Anyone know if that would work?
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2013