Self weaning

Did you have your baby self-wean and if so when and how did it happen? My dd isn't quite 10 months and already seems to be self weaning. I really don't want her to stop breastfeeding though until she's at least one. I literally seem to wrestle with her to get her to feed and lots of times she completely refuses to eat. I've waited and tried again and waited some more and tried again and she'll still refuse even when I know she's hungry. Is she self weaning or just going through a phase. I know part of it is that she just doesn't want to sit still.

flalbert

Asked by flalbert at 3:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's really too young to self wean. Could be a nursing strike (google that phrase for more info), or just a phase. Hang in there.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:27 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Self weaning rarely happens before 18 months. I would treat it as a nursing strike.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Keep offering, she is really to young to self wean. My son is 23 months and no where near weaning.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• It's a nursing strike. Nature made us to breastfeed for a long time. Kids don't naturally stop that early. My monster is 16 months and sometimes is just too occupied with other things. But as soon as she gets a quiet moment, it's "na-na" time. lol
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:51 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• It's likely a strike. Babies get distracted and want to explore things. Sometimes nursing is just too time consuming to them. Keep at it, mama. She won't likely wean before 18 months on her own without outside factors (too many solids too soon, not being asked to nurse, etc).
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 1:27 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My daughter self weaned at 14 months. She started refusing to latch on more and more, by 14 months she wasn't interested anymore and wouldn't ltach.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 9:35 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• What's the story on solids? Early weaning often happens if the solids are given before nursing. Flip that order and the picture will change.

Mine self-weaned at 26 months.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:10 AM on Feb. 21, 2009