50 to 75 percent of the 14 million consumers who buy their insurance individually can expect to receive a “cancellation” letter

And the administration has known about it since the beginning.

Between all the lies behind the passage of the ACA, and the whole temper tantrum involved in the shutdown, why would anyone vote for an incumbent for any office over the next 6 years?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• They've been talking about this for awhile now on the radio talk show I listen to.
    Premiums jumping sometimes 400%, it's absolutely ridiculous to think that any of us can afford this!
    Folks are saying, it's cheaper to pay the fees.

For someone my and my husband's age, it Isn't.

KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 9:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2013

• Where are all of the people that insisted that it won't change things for those that already have insurance?

Everything that is happening now was easily predicted back when the law was being discussed and formed, even before it was passed.  Just like most things with this administration, I was hoping to be wrong, but I'm not.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:04 AM on Oct. 29, 2013

• Losing the Grandfather safety net is a big part of the reason for cancellations.
    The story that came out in 2010:
    The Department of Health and Human Services released preliminary regulations in June. They state that plans would lose their grandfathered status if coinsurance and copayments increase more than a specified amount, for example. According to HHS estimates:
    _ 40 percent to 67 percent of individual policies will lose grandfathered status by 2011;
    _ 34 percent to 64 percent of large employer group plans (100 or more employees) will lose their grandfathered status by 2013: and _ 49 percent to 80 percent of small employer group plans (three to 99 employees) will lose their grandfathered status by 2013.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/health-reform-implementation/120285-enzi-demands-do-over-on-healthcare-grandfathering-clause#ixzz2j7VDHRVC

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 10:11 AM on Oct. 29, 2013

• I saw this article. They have known it all along and even narrowed the ability to keep your insurance.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2013

• So now what? I thought Obamacare was supposed to make everything better....

Btw... I can't afford the plans on the exchange because we make too much to get any subsidy. Soooo... I'm going full time just for insurance. If something happens to that, well... basically my family's fucked.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:27 AM on Oct. 29, 2013

• It is like education. If Johnny can't keep up and pass lower the standards.
    If Mary can't afford insurance level the playing field and make it so almost no one can (except those who voted it in for us of course)
    And then fine everyone for it.

Sounds Like the home of the free and the land to come and build you life on your own hard work, doesn't it?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:36 AM on Oct. 29, 2013

• I did my paperwork last night.
    We're on my husband's insurance thru work. What was free is now going to be $216 a month. I know that's not nearly what some are paying for. I'm trying to explain that to my husband.
    The other issue I've encountered is that NONE of our doctors are covered under the new plan. I can pick a plan that has WAY higher copays and not as much coverage that does include my doctors. It's like they said "Hmmmm.... lets take the most popular network of doctors and exclude them from the cheap plan, so patients who are loyal to those facilities have to pay higher copays."
    The doctors in the cheaper plan are the same quacks that my Nana went to 30 years ago, and they were senile and useless then. There are lots of therapists, chiropractors, and podiatrists on the better plan, but very few GP's and gynecologists. And they STILL won't offer vision and dental!
    I'm stressed about this since last night. Grrrrrrr!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• Some of the parts of the ACA are needed, others will have to be revised to work.
    Hubby's employer has changed insurance carriers three times in the last 2 years. Every time we go through pick which program you want, usually PPO vs HMO type coverage. Each time the cost to us has gone up and just for the two of us we now pay over $250 a month (just our portion). We have just gotten to the point of as long as we can afford it we pay out of pocket to stay with our chosen doctor.
    We did get a letter from the company that said they will not be canceling insurance and that because of the type of coverage they offer, we would not be eligible for whats is on the market place. I don't quite understand that part but for now will let sleeping dogs lie.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 12:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• For some reason that neither of us can figure out, my boyfriend and my daughter were grandfathered in for this year, so their insurance premiums won't change. My boyfriend is self-employed and pays for private insurance, and I'm self-employed and pay for a private plan for my daughter. Next year, her premiums and his will both skyrocket. And that's for the cheapest plan, which is a big risk to carry, but it's the only affordable one. It pays for physicals, doctor visits, X-rays, medications, etc, with reasonable copays, but virtually no hospitalization coverage. I just don't have the money for the plan that includes hospitalization, even the way the premiums are now, so I try to keep my child as healthy as possible and pray every day she doesn't get hurt or seriously ill. I've been told I'm taking a crazy risk, but what else can I do?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• And folks thought I was nuts by hoping the republicans would hold out, but also knowing what would happen if they did. And by the time the battle for the budget comes around, I think more will more than willing to support the republicans in some way to defund or whatever needs to be done concerning the obamacare bullshit. ...

..."President Obama repeatedly assured Americans that after the Affordable Care Act became law, people who liked their health insurance would be able to keep it...." NBC News

He didn't lie, he expressed his opinion in a manner, which is inconsistent with current mainstream understanding.

eye rolling

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2013