Kids at the bus stop always have an issue with my son what should I do?

My son is 5 and is in Kindergarten. There are about 6 other older kids that wait at the bus stop. In the beginning every time we went to the stop and he was there first they would cut him to get on the bus or make up their own line 3 feet from him so they can get on the bus before him. Now the stop has been moved across the street in front of their apartments due to the road construction and they line up in the walk way from their gate. I decided to come to the bus stop later on 3 to 5 mins to pick up time and to wait on the side of the path way with my son since they are never fair to him when it comes to the line.He gets on after the kids in line do. Now they talk about him out loud about him not standing in line and how he is going to get a citation and he is just doing that to cut in line. Today I had it and told them that he was not going to cut them and he doesn't have to wait in line. There are a few other kids that come right when the bus gets there that are on the other side on apartments standing around talking and they never seem to say anything to them. It is like they clearly have a problem with my son. (they have also teased him about the way he talks last month)

What should I do because this not the first time I have said something to these kids and I already know they will say stuff again. Should I talk the principal or the bus driver? I don't know any of the kids parents and I am the only parent out there in the mornings. My husband is going to take him to the bus tomorrow morning and he says he will talk to the kids but I doubt it will make a difference.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Why didn't you stand up for your son when this first started? You allowed them to cut in front of your child making it obvious that he is going to be the perfect victim. You have obviously also taught him at this young age that he has to defer to them again making him the perfect fictim.
    He will end up having to stand up for himself in a physical whay because of how the stage was set.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2013

• I have said something to these kids before on 2 different occasions. Then I decided to come later on so he wouldn't stand in line with them. Am I suppose to push the kids to the side so he can get on the bus first?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:55 AM on Oct. 29, 2013

• doesn't sound like that big of a deal...
    go with him and let it be- UNLESS they start name-callng, or like throwing thins at him or something like that
    kids are...kids and this doesn't sound like something to make a big deal out of to be honest. They are older, and older kids always give younger ones a bit of a hard time
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:56 AM on Oct. 29, 2013

• I think it's just kids being kids and enforcing the age old pecking order of oldest to youngest. I have found the best way to counteract this is to make friends with the kids so they start to see your son as a friend not just some younger pain. Start a conversation with them ask them what they'll be for Halloween. Invite them to trick or treat at your place, etc.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 29, 2013

• Does it really matter who gets on the bus when?
    We used to put our backpacks in a line, run around, play, whatever, and you came back and picked up your pack and got on the bus in that order.
    If they start pushing, shoving, hitting, then you have a problem. This is not a problem, it's kids being kids.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2013

• I can't say if this is the right approach or not, but older neighborhood kids used to make fun of my daughter for having a blind mom. I could have yelled at them, complained to their parents, but what I did was buy a big bag of Dum-Dum suckers from Wal-Mart. It was a few bucks for like a couple hundred suckers, best investment ever. Every time we ventured out for a while, I'd pass out suckers, just because. I always carried several of them in my pocket. I didn't use them to bribe the other kids into treating my daughter well, I just handed them out and said hello. Pretty soon, the kids started including my daughter, and talking to me about my dog, about school, their new bikes, and so on. Now sometimes I still have suckers for them, sometimes I don't. I'm still known as the sucker lady--dubious title--but a little friendliness goes a long way. Maybe that would work at the bus stop.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• I would not be upset that he was the last on the bus at all. On my Son's bus, the Kindergarteners always sit in the front seats. Our School has someone in charge specifically of bus safety & discipline. You should call the school & ask if there is one there. Explain the situation that you feel your Son may be bullied on the bus. They will board the bus at the School & remind everyone to be nice to each other. They may also place an older child next to him to take care of him on the bus. That is what they did for my Son last year in Kindergarten when a 5th grader harassed him. I did not even know about it. He went to his Teacher & told his Teacher. She sent him to speak to the Lady in charge of the Bus Safety & she called me to say it will be addressed & he will be OK. They handled it very well. Call tomorrow morning. Just be nice & voice your concerns. The School will handle it privately. They do not want any problems
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• Sounds like typical older kid behavior as long as there is no name calling,rock throwing,pushing I would just let it be if it escalates then I would get involved.Good Luck.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 29, 2013