3 year old birthday party ideas and do you invite your toddlers school friends to her birthday party?

I am working on planning my daughters 3rd birthday party, and she has a lot of little friends at the pre school she goes to. I wanted to check with other moms, why i think it would be super cute and fun to invite the kids from her class, i dont know if shes too young for this, or if people even do the friend thing at 3 years old. I would assume all the kids parents would stay too and maybe that would be awkward having all my daughters family there too. What do you do for your toddlers 3rd birthday?

SillyMommy1221

Asked by SillyMommy1221 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• they say to have one friend for the age- so a 5 yr old= 5 friends
    3 yr old= 3 friends

********
    I would come up with a theme for the cake and decorations) and keep it SIMPLE. Don't try party games or anything like that...just let them play

*personally, for a 3 yr old- I'd keep it to family. ours were 5 before we started inviting friends
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• 3 was when we started inviting friends. Having it at a park/playground is usually the most economical but you do have to be concerned about the weather. I invited my kids preschool classes (around 12) and 6-9 showed up. We did Build A Bear one year, rented my church's gym and let kids bring their favorite ride on toy for a "planes trains and cars" birthday, inflatable playground, etc.

Answer by missanc at 12:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• We did a big party when dd turned 3, inviting her whole class. She had a blast.

Anonymous

• at that age the only people who came to my children's parties were family and close friends/their children. you could invite her class though i dont see that as an issue.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• All my kids birthdays were family affairs for the most part. Dinner and /or cake and ice cream. Nothing big or elaborate. There is the red plate which is only taken out for a special occasion. Candles and presents.
    Once in a while we would have a bigger party. My rule was that you can invite the number of kids that you are old and no more if you are 3 you can invite 3 etc. At this age the party is for you and not for your child JMO.
    If you expect the parents to stay you have to make that very clear and if you do you have to also expect that they will (have to) bring the child's siblings.
    I NEVER mixed family and kid/ buddy parties.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:30 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• I found a lot of fun birthday ideas at birthdayinabox.com. I didn't start inviting school friends till my daughter turned five last year, and not many of them came. They didn't call to say they wouldn't be coming, either, so I had a bunch of extra party favors to get rid of and a lot of leftover cake. When the big six rolls around, I'm not sure I'll mess with the school friends again. I definitely wouldn't bother with that for a three-year-old.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• My family always used the guideline to only invite as many friends as the year they are turning... but in this case, I would stick with family. A funny story... Once my sister threw her son a birthday during nap time. He may have been four. It was so cute watching him literally nod off during opening presents. That was the last mid-afternoon party! (LOL)
    juniper107

Answer by juniper107 at 9:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• For my dd 3rd birthday she had a party at school and at my grandma's with family. Yes if she goes to daycare I would invite them. Mine was a home daycare and so we knew the woman so we just had a cake and a piƱata. Last year when she turned four I invited more people from school and ballet ect. But we were new in town but some came. This year(next year) when she turns five I am inviting the whole class. Make it short and sweet. My dd did get very tired at the end of her party that is why I say make it short and sweet.
    libramoon007

Answer by libramoon007 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2013