For those who do genealogy

do you ever try to dig more into the career information about people that are back a ways?

In all the iterations of Who Do You Think You Are, they seem to make a point of having someone look at a census record and tell the person exactly what their ancestor did for a job, based on that word. Today I had to pull out my mother's death certificate to look something up, and I realized her occupation was listed as "counselor". That's technically correct, as her official job title for many years was "trainer/counselor". What it actually means is she taught people programming languages and and then did what amounts to high-tier tech support between classes (if the person who answered the phone couldn't solve the problem, and the person they sent it to for help couldn't figure it out, it was forwarded to her or someone else on her team).

No doubt, 100 years from now, if someone asks a genealogist what their great great great great grandmother did, the genealogist will tell them she was a shrink without a masters degree. Now I wonder, all the people I've traced back and have these set ideas about what they did for a living, how wrong might it be?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Wow. This will make me look at things a little differently. There is no question about certain ancestors due to a clothing business being passed down through several generations, before my great uncle made some bad business decisions and the company went under. However, there are probably some that, if I have time, I'll have to see if I can dig a little deeper to verify that the info I have is correct.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2013