Do you make your kids do this ... after playdates at someone elses house?

Help clean up the mess they made? I always have my kids help clean up before we leave someone else's house. Times I don't even have to ask them they just do it. But I have friends and family who don't and it drives me crazy.. Especially I have a couple friends who's kids go crazy and pull everything out , and sometimes I tell my daughter's they cant play in the room they have to bring only a few toys out in the living room (so I can supervise the mess). I don't like doing but if I don't im stuck cleaning up a mess. Yes my kids can clean it up by them self's but i help them. Anyways i think its just rude to be invited to someone house and not clean up after your kids or have your kids clean up after themselves.

Cherriemama831

Asked by Cherriemama831 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• Yes I made mine and I do think it is rude. Ruder yet is when you tell the kids they need to go and put everything away the mom says oh (s)he can't we have to go right now or we will be late. (every time?)

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• My niece and nephew used to come over and trash my son's room. After dropping a few hints,I marched in there and told them all that it was time to clean up,and then they'd be ready to go
    My BIL and SIL were speechless.
    I don't get it. I've always made my son clean up his share of the messes at people's houses

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• There is only one home where I don't insist my children help clean up, but it's only because the mom doesn't want any of the kids (and there are scads of kids there) to do any picking up. We've tried several times to help, and each time, she says not to worry about it. With that many, she'll have to resort everything anyway, so it's not a problem for her (said nicely, not exasperatedly).

Otherwise, my kids clean up when they go to someone else's house. Sometimes the kids' guests help to clean up; sometimes they don't. The ones that do are more likely to be allowed to be invited back.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• Yes, we clean up. Even at the Library we clean up after Toddler Playtime. We are usually the last to leave too. It's the right thing to do.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• Most of the time, but most of their friends don't help with the mess they make here.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• I expect my daughter to clean up at other people's houses, and she knows it. It's amazing to me how many kids come over, pull everything out, and then just leave a disaster in their wake. There's one, in particular, that I won't let my daughter take off into her room, because I know I'll have to deal with the aftermath of a tornado when she's gone.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• yep, I also tell the kids about 15 min before parents pick up that it is clean up time that way they ALL do it and they learn.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 3:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• Yes I make them clean up
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• Yes I always have my son clean up whenever he is over his friends house and if his friend is over my house couple of mintues before he is to be pick up i have them both clean up.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 10:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• I don't give my guests' children a chance. When its close to time for them to go, I tell them all it is time to clean up. Thankfully, the parents were always agreed with me that their child(ren) should help with the mess.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 30, 2013