Three-Legged Pets

Just wondering if anyone has/has ever had a pet who is missing a leg? We're hoping to adopt an adult male cat this weekend who was brought to a shelter with a shattered leg - it was amputated a month or so ago. They've told us to possibly expect arthritis in the remaining back leg in the future, but added that it shouldn't be a problem provided he doesn't get to be overweight.

I'm just curious if anyone else has had a pet in this situation, and what sort of struggles you or the pet have had?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2013 in Pets

• I have not owned one....yet. But I have worked with many and they do very well. Some have a harder time if it is a front leg but they still get around just fine. But it is important to keep them lean.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Oh, I am so happy you are doing this! Great job! I have not owned a three-leg animal, as I am more of a one-eyed pet owner. I adopted an older dog with one eye from a shelter five years ago. They had absolutely no information as to what happened to him or anything further. When the kids were little, we also owned a one-eyed dog.

As far as the leg thing though, usually the animal will adapt to the circumstance and not even realize they are missing a limb. Don't handicap him, let him go with the flow as he wishes. It is a possibility that arthritis will develop, but then again, that could happen to any pet at any time. My guy has a little in his back legs and spine area. I can tell when he walks after he's been sleeping. Don't feel that you need to put him on any meds right away though. She how he adapts.

We want pics!!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• Sweet... I'm sure he will adapt just fine.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• Sorry about the spelling error, my keys are sticking today...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• They've said that so far, it's not holding him back at all. I think he'll be a wonderful addition to our family, since we currently have a cat who is normally quite calm (and from what we've heard, the new kitty is fairy calm as well).

Here's the picture from the shelter's website! His name right now is Charles McStubbins, but my sweetie fiance thinks that'll give the cat a complex so we'll probably change it. :)

AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• I had a neighbor with a three-legged dog. That critter hardly seemed to know there was a problem, the way she got around. I think animals are more adaptable to what life throws at them than people are; they live in the moment.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2013