Anyone have a child with Celiac disease or malabsorption or know someone who has it?

my oldest is getting blood work done later this week to be tested for it. basically she's never really had a (TMI) formed stool since birth, it's always been diarrhea like. she is growing and thriving though, and from what i've read online people with celiac disease don't thrive as well because of the lack of nutrients to important parts of the body. just wondering if anyone has any experience with it that you can share. she turned 7 this month and went to her checkup today and she weighs 44 lbs but the doctor wasn't concerned with her weight. he said she's underweight but not like abnormally so. i guess the concern lies with her digestive system and it may be the reason why she's thin.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 29, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I have a good friend who has celiac disease and once they found out the problem she has done beautifully. She has tons to pick from at the grocery store, especially since gluten free foods are "in". My DIL also has started eating mostly gluten free foods and feels a lot better even though she has not been diagnosed with the disease. She always felt "off" and tried gluten free foods. There are support groups for the disease too. Google it and you will see several. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 5:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• My sister and a few cousins have it. ALL of them tested negative during the blood tests but positive during the intestinal biopsy. So keep that in mind.

Find a support group and talk with a nutritionist if you feel overwhelmed.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• The first person I knew to be diagnosed with celiac got very heavy over about 7 years leading up to her diagnosis. She's had a hard time losing and keeping weight off too. Everyone else I know with celiac or gluten intolerance (another 10-ish since that first friend) is unhealthy thin to a healthy weight, depending what else they have, if anything. Hope you get good news!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 1:11 AM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Yes, my brother in law had it.
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 9:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2014