I was wondering what the average age is for kids to write their first and last name, my daughter is 4 and has autism,t she is writing full name and i wondered if she was ahead or behind the other kids

Ahoss85

Asked by Ahoss85 at 9:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• All kids are different. My daughter can at 3 if you are wanting comparison ages.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• Thank you! Since she has autism, we are constantly working with her, but I am always worried she will be "behind" the other kids. I know if she were it would be okay, but I really want her to keep up with the other kids her age.
    Ahoss85

Comment by Ahoss85 (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• that has a very wide window of 'acceptable' Anywhere from 3-5. Depending on the length of the name, the child's ability to focus on the task, the child's fine motor skills, the amount of time the parent/teacher has put into teaching it...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:49 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• Mine is five and a half and just mastered writing her first, middle, and last name a few weeks ago, but the middle and last she learned together.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• At the school i work for by the *end* of K4 (Pre-K) they want the kids to be able to write their name, be able to copy other words onto paper, know all the letter sounds, read at least 20 sight words, be able to count objects to 20, recognize numbers 0-100, recognize shapes both 2d and 3d, know at least a few state capitols, recognize a few presidents and national landmarks, recognize and spell basic colors... among other things.
    However we have VERY high standards because we are a certified Montessori school.
    When my DD started kindergarten this year at 5 she was expected to know nothing at all. they reviewed everything from colors to letter sounds for the first 9 weeks and are just now starting to actually teach. There are kids in her class who are still mastering latter sounds and shape recognition and that is okay. That is what kindergarten is for, getting everyone on the same level.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• Jeez But-Mommie! Good thing thing you explained lol cuz I was thinking that's a lot for 4 year olds!!!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• It depends on the names Bill is easier to write than Stanislaus etc.
    It depends on how much time and effort is given to helping the child to learn. Many children are not introduced to any form of writing until they enter school.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2013

• You scared me but mommie. That's a ton of stuff for a pres schooler.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:41 AM on Oct. 30, 2013

• It is a lot of stuff but I would say more than half leave knowing all of it. The kids that do not leave knowing all of it are still more than prepared for kindergarten.It is amazing how much kids can absorb. You should see what my 1-2 year old class works on!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:39 AM on Oct. 30, 2013