5 year old all the sudden having bad dreams

My dd is 5 and a half doesn't watch anything scary anything like that so I don't know why all the sudden she is having bad dreams. It started at the begining of the month she woke up at like 4 in the morning and woke me up to ask to sleep with me and daddy cause she was scared she had a bad dream (I don't remember what it was about) so I let her in our bed which I rarely do. Well the next night she didn't fight me about being scared like I thought she would she went to sleep and didn't have a problem until a week or 2 later she was talking through the vent at me lol said she had a bad dream I told her it was ok and put her back to bed she was fine went back to bed (forget what that one was about too) then she woke up again with another dream Monday in the middle of the night asking to sleep with me I told her no told her it would be fine tucked her in she went back to bed (didn't ask what that dream was about) then last night or I guess early this morning she woke at 2 in the morning asking to sleep with us she said she had a bad dream. I asked her what the dream was about she said (we have a cat and 2 kittens) that she had a dream they had sharp teeth and they killed Renee Renee is her 8 year old sister. So I put her back to bed well about 330 I was kind of asleep but kind of not well she runs into our room at 330 this morning asking to sleep with us because she had another bad dream of a wolf that killed everyone. So this time I let her sleep with us, but thing is I have now been awake since 2or 330 its now 6 where i am so which means no going back to lseep for me since the alarm will be going off in a half hour to get them ready for school. Her and daddy were hogging the whole bed. No going back to sleep when they go to school since I have a 2 year old ugh. I need sleep. Help...

Of the 8 years of being a mom I haven't ever had to deal with waking up in the middle of the night for bad dreams, sickness anything like that. I also haven't ever had any of my kids sleep with us or want to sleep with us.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 5:56 AM on Oct. 30, 2013 in Kids' Health

• My five-year-old goes through this now and then, too. I would try very hard not to let her start sleeping in your bed when she has bad dreams because the reward of sleeping between you and Daddy might reinforce the behavior of getting scared in the night. Getting scared equals sleeping in Mom and Dad's bed, and even if she isn't doing it on purpose, her mind may start convincing her that she's scared. Be loving, but do everything you can to get her back in her own bed after every nightmare.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:19 AM on Oct. 30, 2013

• before i even opened i knew it would be a daughter

very common (for girls this age range, ) to have night terrors, and sleepwalking -much more common with girls
    IF nothing bad happening in her life, sudden change, death in family, divorce etc.. i would try not to worry
    step daughter had this, it went away, she would walk around house with eyes open but completely asleep, wpuld not remember in morning, she would talk when she was, but made no sense. sometimes she would wake screaming her head off, scary but it passes

imo
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:42 AM on Oct. 30, 2013