Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I adopt my friends child?

I am only 18 years old. She is 16. I Live in Wisconsin. She is living in Canada at the time being. She is thinking about moving here for the next month before the baby is born to make things easier on everyone. I am trying to figure out all the steps that i have to do so that i can legaly adopt her baby. We have known each other for years now. But she is just not ready to have a baby. If anyone can help me out with all the steps i need to do. Things need to be done quickly. The baby is due march 10th. Any help would be great. thank you.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Adoption

Answers (16)
  • you need to call child services and im sure they will know evrything.. just tell a social worker the situation like you told us.. they'll know what to do..

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • Your 18 & want to adopt her baby...ok...I dont know how that would work exactly.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • 18 seems very young, but hey, maturity doesn't always come in the number of years that one is alive. I wish you well. Probably an adoption attorney would be your first call.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • The father of the baby has rights, you can't just cut a deal with the mom. Also depending on the laws of your state ( not including Canada) Her being 16, a minor cannot enter into a legal contract with anyone. Very complicated, are you sure you are ready for the emotional, financial & complicated maze of an adoption of this type ? I'm an adoptive parent & my head is swimming! You will need outside agencies to help this situation that may not come out in your favor, remember, what is best for the child, may not be what you want to hear.
    All the best! Aloha, Danielle

    Answer by danielle808 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • Danielle808, actually a minor can enter into an adoption plan and sign paperwork legally. They do not need their parents permission to adopt the baby out.

    But, on another note, why doesn't the 18 yr old help support the young mom so there is no destruction of family, no alteration of the birth certificate, etc?

    Answer by randi1978 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • Contact an adoption agency, child services, and/or an adoption lawyer. If you are looking to make the adoption legal, you will need a lawyer, and I would suggest one who specializes in adoption. Good luck.

    Answer by IZs_mommy at 5:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • She's not ready for the baby, but you are at 18 years old? You're barely out of high school, how are you going to provide for a baby? You have no idea how much money it costs to take care of an infant, especially on one income. Who will watch the baby? Obviously you'll do formula, do you konw how much formula is? What about medical care? I think you should have her live with you and help her out. And there is a father out there too ... she can't give up her baby without the fathers consent, unless she doesn't know who the father is, I guess ...

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • Just because she is 18 doesnt mean that shes not old enough. Hey, I got married at 18 years old and had my baby shortly after. Everyone in my church, and everyone that I know says that I am a good mom. Maybe she has a job? 18 year olds are not idiots you know. Sure shes young, but if she is trying to help out her friend, props to her! I wish you lots of luck!

    Answer by Rebekahs_Mommy at 5:58 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • 18 is only young in terms of what this western society deems as "old enough" and even just a few decades ago 18 here in the United States would not be looked at as out of the oridinary for parent hood.

    Older siblings often take legal custody of their younger siblings in order to prevent the sibling group from being split up in cases where parents are unable to care for their children (or die). I think that we should stop making assumptions that this young girl is unable because of her age. Perhaps the strongest qualifications for parent hood are Willingness & Reaching out to educate yourself and find support. Good for you OP for wanting to support your friend. Perhaps there would be a way for her to assign legal guardianship to you in the short term (given the birth is to occur so soon) which would require the two of you to file paperwork in family court. Adoption can take time which can be pursued afterwards.

    Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 7:22 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • be glad that she is willing to take on this child and give this 16 year old girl a chance to live a little.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Adoption
Has cafemom helped?

Next question overall (Relationships)
what should i do