Porch light wars

Back when answers had more than 20 users a day, this used to be a massive hot topic around Halloween every year. Wondering if anyone still cares.

Is it your duty to turn your light off on Halloween if you're not home/not giving out candy? Should you expect little kids to chain ring your doorbell if you leave it on when you're not giving out candy, or do you have a right to complain about it?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:24 AM on Oct. 30, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Lights on if you're passing, lights off if you're not,
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:28 AM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Lights off if you aren't giving out candy, whatever the reason.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Yup, light on if you have candy, light off if you don't. We've been doing that since *I* was a kid.

Since I live on the second floor of an apartment, I post a sign at the bottom of the stairs that my apartment has no candy.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:32 AM on Oct. 30, 2013

• We just turn off the light and nobody really bothers after that. If you leave your light on, I would think it would be reasonable to guess that the homeowners are still receptive to T-o-Ters. I guess they have a right to complain, but so do the trick or treaters.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:32 AM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Yes, there should be no lights if you're not giving out candy.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:33 AM on Oct. 30, 2013

• I always found it annoying to go to empty houses with the lights on when I was a kid. Waste of time when you have so many to go to.

So yes, it is a courtesy to turn them off if you aren't answering.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:37 AM on Oct. 30, 2013

• I think kids have every right to ring your doorbell 5,000 times if you leave your light on but aren't passing out candy. And then they should egg your door. That's the trick part of the trick or treat!
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 11:40 AM on Oct. 30, 2013

• yep, turn off your lights if you don't want trick or treaters on Halloween. if you don't, you should expect a plethora of doorbell rings.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 30, 2013

• I don't give out candy any more (only to grandkids and neighbors) (hangs head in shame).... So, I don't turn on my lights... HOWEVER, I still have kids ringing my bell last year. I guess because they knew I was in there, or they were on a sugar rush and forget to check for the light.... I have no clue.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:46 AM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Why WOULDN'T you leave your light off if you were no giving out candy? Just to be a pain in the neck? Then expect many rings and eggs and tp too!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:47 AM on Oct. 30, 2013