Is it tacky?

I seem to have a gazillion friends who are selling things like Thirty-One, Scentsy, Pure Romance, etc. They always ask me to host a party for them, and at first, I was ok with it and always had a big crowd. But the thing is, I'm burnt out, and I don't want to buy any more of this crap. And neither do my friends. I host parties (not all sales parties) A LOT. So friends RSVP to a party, then realize it's a sales party and back out. And I don't blame them. I'm throwing a Scentsy party this month, but I want it to be my very last one.

Anyway, I've been thinking about posting something on Facebook asking friends to please not ask me to host sales parties anymore, as I think I might not have the heart to tell them no individually. Do you think that's tacky?

BeaverHouse

Asked by BeaverHouse at 11:46 AM on Oct. 30, 2013 in Relationships

• I don't think it will do a bit of good and thus is not only tacky, but pointless. Just say to each future request, "Sorry, but I'm burnt out. You are not the only person who has asked me to host and I just can't do it anymore."
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:50 AM on Oct. 30, 2013

• I just say it personally to the person who asks me to host a party. I really don't like making FB announcements like this.
    It's okay to say no, if they get pissed, they are not your friend.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2013

• I completely understand, but your friends will either not see the anouncement, or think it doesn't apply to them. As KT said if they get pissed they aren't your real friends any way. A real friend might be disappointed, but never really mad about something like that.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:58 AM on Oct. 30, 2013

• If they're your real friends they won't get pissed. :)
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:58 AM on Oct. 30, 2013

• I don't know that I'd call it tacky, but I do think it's pointless. They either won't see it, or they will and think "Oh, she doesn't mean me." I'd just go with a polite, "I'm sorry, but I'm just burnt out on it and I really can't do it anymore." If you really don't think you can manage that, maybe just be busy when they want you to schedule it? Or can you maybe blame your husband? :) Say that he's done with all the sales parties and has said no more? Or blame friends - say that you've been hearing a lot of people say they're broke/really tight on money right now and you just don't think you could get any of them to come to a sales party right now.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• I've learned that if you tell one person that you cannot afford stuff like that, word gets around.... However, let you order ONE thing from someone and it seems they all come out of the word work. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:12 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• I have started hosting internet/facebook parties for the ones who ask, I am over the junk of the month club, LOL
    Now I might have a party for partygal in real life, I think my friends might benefit from that party, LOL!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:55 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Just say nop, or better yet as soon as it comes up start a convo wit someone else or have a dish that needs to be taken somewhere. The bathroom is a great deflection.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:06 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• I agree to tell each individual as you are approached, I also decline invites to attend parties.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 2:27 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Good point. :/
    BeaverHouse

Comment by BeaverHouse (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Oct. 30, 2013