If you go to church,how big is your congregation?

And how much do you give to the church?
That question was closed,so I was wondering how much you are asked to give.
For THAT one,1500 people/families would have to give $3333 to get to that 5 million dollars. I'm guessing the congregation is alot smaller than that

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Wow, that's a lot of money. The church I go to is tiny now. We had about fifty people at our peak, but we're down to ten or fifteen now on a typical Sunday. We're basically a house church, although we choose to rent a small meeting room in a hotel instead of using private homes. Our operating budget for the month is only about seven hundred dollars, so people give as they can to meet that goal, and if we don't meet it, we have a small savings account we can dip into. I guess I average between about $80 and $100 a month, which is the best I can do right now. I wouldn't want to go to a church that needed a huge sum of money, and I sure wouldn't want to be told how much I should drop in the collection plate every week.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• The church I go to has several thousand members, regularly we have about 1200 in attendance at 3 services, so roughly 4500 or so on a Sunday morning. Personally I don't give my tithes or offerings to the church, I give to our local pregnancy life care center. But our church is huge (sanctuary, gym, fellowship hall, youth lounge, 3 story education building, softball and soccer fields, preschool, etc.), has tons of programs, and a large budget. I personally know members that give tens of thousands of dollars annually, but then there are members like me that give none.

Answer by missanc at 5:35 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• We have between 200 - 300 people attend. We are never told that we have to give a certain amount but rather what we feel God leads us to give. My family gives at least 10% of our income and then above that for special things that are going on.

Not sure what your $5 million is. I'm assuming that's about another post I haven't gotten to yet. I do know of some small congregations that have raised unbelievable sums to pay off church mortgages, etc.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• I'm sure $5 million is not uncommon for some of the mega-churches out there. Or if they could be adding buildings like a school, etc. A new large cathedral would be pricey as well. If the church has some rich patrons, they may have had some big contributions come in.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:06 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• The church I currently attend looks like it only has about 200 members. They've never asked anyone to give a certain amount except what God lays on our hearts. They teach tithing according to the Bible. I read somewhere that most churches have only a quarter of their members that actually give and/or tithe and all their bills, including their ministries are paid from that.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• my parents' church is around 70 ppl and their weekly budget is around 2-3,000. the 10% amount is a popular amount to give but ive never heard anyone say it from the pulpit. my dad has told me before that the majority of the money comes from 2-3 rich older ppl who give far more than their share.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• I think its terrible people are expected to give any money at all.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Yeah,another question
    She never stated what the 5 mil was for

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• I'm wondering where the want/need line is in this

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• My current congregation is about 130 people. It's the smallest congregation I've ever been a part of.

My husband forbade me to give money to the church (long story), so I give the kids some money for the contribution. I then look for other opportunities to do God's work in the community. We support a couple quality charities, and I do other things to be the salt and light I am commanded to be. I don't believe that my church misses what I don't give. I'm putting more benevolence, money, and time into the community than I would be if I were simply dropping cash into the collection basket.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:03 AM on Nov. 2, 2013