My mom and I were going to go in on maid service for my depressed sister. It is more expensive than we can do. Ideas for about $100.00 to send her.

She lives 9 hours away and just had a baby. She is having the baby blues and is having a hard time balancing it all. The maid service is $150.00. I can not find anything lower and we can only come up with $100.00. I really want to help but we still want to do something to make her feel better. Any ideas that could help lighten her load?? Or creative ideas for a gift to send. Flowers and candy will be a last resort!

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 2:26 PM on Oct. 30, 2013 in Just for Fun

• what about a pamper day for her? Massage etc
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 2:36 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Sounds more like she needs company. Use the $100.00 to go and visit.
    Encourage her to get in a new moms "club" Lots of hospitals offer them now.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Where is her husband?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• I think a visit is in order. Use the $100 for gas and go. Sometimes a little company (especially since her hubby isn't hardly home) can work wonders! Have you asked her why she's feeling blue? Does she feel overwhelmed? alone? unsure? I know postpartum depression is the real deal, but maybe she can put her finger on what she feels like is missing. Start there!
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:22 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Maid service? All a newborn does is eat & sleep. That's the easiest time of Motherhood IMO. Can't you go drive & see her & the baby? Bring her a $100 gift card so she can buy what she needs. Send Diapers & Wipes in the mean time. Yea, what about her Husband? He can't vacuum & do laundry?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• He goes on truck routes so she is by herself a lot of the time.
    AmyLynn5398

Comment by AmyLynn5398 (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Pay a friend or relative that lies close to her the $100 to do the job.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• I would encourage you to go visit also. And she should mention how she is feeling to her doctor. Also there is care.com where you could hire someone to help her a little. Look at the pulldowns for the housekeeping posts. Make sure you do all background checks and call their references. Just ideas.....
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• You've gotten great advice. I think you and your mom should use the money to make a trip of it and see your sister. Even if she can'tput what she needs into words, you may have a better idea when you are there. Also, the thoughts of paying a trusted friend or relative, or finding someone on care.com, are good. Was the $150 for a whole house cleaning? Or was it for a certain number of months? That seems kindof high.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:09 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Gift cards for takeout? A few of my friends gave me those when I had my last baby and they were lifesavers for when I didn't feel like cooking or was just too tired.

Answer by missanc at 8:24 PM on Oct. 30, 2013