My 5 yr old son misbehaving in school....

My son started kindergarten this year... Honestly I never had not one complain from daycare about his behavior and lately hes been bringing nothing but bad notes. So I punished him by taking things he likes to do like TV and Video games and so on.... And when the behavior continued the following day i made him write lines (WHICH HE HATES SO BAD!!!) But the issue is after rewarding him... I made a deal where if he brought me good notes for a whole week, he would get everything back and if he messed up one day we will start all over..... So after he brought me 5 good notes in a week, i gave him back his stuff but the following day he brought me a bad note right back to misbehaving..... To this point i feel as if my punishment is not working and don't know what to do but i want to see if any one has any ideas or a systems that have work for them and may be able to help me with my situation!! Thanks

Yazmyn U.

Asked by Yazmyn U. at 3:38 PM on Oct. 30, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What exactly is the issue, talking, not listening? How severe is what he is doing, for example we used to have red, yellow, and blue days, Red= awful, yellow= could have done better, blue=very good.
    I would say that taking away no TV for example, until you bring home the good report, but it really depends on what he is doing, hitting? Throwing fits?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:04 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• I agree; it depends on what he's doing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• From what the teacher say there days that he's hyper and just talk to much or play around to much nothing to the extreme THANK GOD!!! but i been working with him about a month now and doesnt seem to do better or just keep it going str8 for awhile or am i just expecting to much?
    Yazmyn33

Comment by Yazmyn33 (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Sounds like he needs an outlet for all his energy. I would get him into some kinds of high energy sport like swimming or martial arts. Or, if you can afford it, BOTH. Swimming will expend his energy, and martial arts will teach him self control and discipline. My whole family does Taekwondo and loves it.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:49 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• My son just started Kindergarten this year too and up until this week we were having the same issue (knock on wood), coming home with more "bad colors" than good. I guess something clicked this week and he's been doing really well. One of the things I always do is heap on praise when he does well and I tell him a few times how proud I am of him, he beams when he hears this. I also start each day new. If he does poorly one day, he loses his privileges for the day, but the next day we start fresh, so he doesn't feel like he's already in the dumper and there's no point in behaving. When he goes well he gets nice little treat, right now he is allowed to have some candy usually 2-3 pieces (inevitably he asks for just one more piece and because he was a good boy I let him). And having established a good routine helps too. Good luck!!
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 5:38 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Sounds like ADHD. Have you had him tested? Start a token economy system.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:29 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• It may because of a lot of reasons but finding the source of it is key. I never buy into the crap that boys will be boys. Children want to please and do well. I agree it sounds like he has symptoms of ADHD. It could also be adjusting to his school, it could be a processing issue, or it could be stress in general. Talking to your child's doctor and getting the teacher to document specific issues is a good start.
    Anonymous

• I have to disagree with this ADHD thinking. OP said he's hyper and talks too much, something tons of kids do. My own son is doing the same thing. A bunch of kids in a room excited and full of energy feed off each other. I think the ADHD label is slapped on kids who sometimes just need a slightly firmer hand in parenting. I hope OP, that you don't think there's anything wrong with your child mental capabilities just because he's an excited Kindergartener who probably just needs routine and an outlet for all that energy not doctors and medication.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 8:55 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Five year olds are not ready to sit and be quiet all day. When kindergarten started, it was only for half a day. Now, it's all day, and they are expected to behave like adults. It makes me extremely angry that we no longer allow little children to just be little children. And we further mark them by punishing them for child-like behavior and by sticking all kinds of labels on them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2013