Did you see the blatant ads for products in General Hospital today?

First, Maxie was giving Spinelli V8 Fushion. Then, Max and Milo were telling Diane to get on a heart-healthy diet using items like Prego. What do you think of THAT?

PSMother

Asked by PSMother at 3:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Entertainment

• I think that is the original purpose of SOAP operas :-) They started out as advertisements for products such as soaps and developed into shows because people enjoyed the storylines. It can cost millions of dollars for a 30 second commercial on popular networks. Perhaps because of the economy, they get cheaper advertising by providing free products for televisions shows in exchange for brief blips on the screen? I don't see a problem with it.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Actually I thought it was a great way for them to get the point across about being heart healthy. That was the main purpose behind it.It was more for Women being heart healthy and taking care of themselves. Watch and see how many women start walking, taking care of themselves better, I know it made me think.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Although I don't watch General Hospital (or soaps at all, for that matter!), my understanding is that we will continue to see more and more product advertising within the shows because so many people now use DVR's/TiVo/ whatever and can totally skip the commercials. So they've got to figure out a way to continue to convince us that all the cool people are doing it, right? I remember in a few episodes of Law & Order last season (or the one before, don't remember), there was some very blatant product hocking going on, but I haven't really noticed any lately, in that show at least. But don't be surprised if you see an increase in this type of thing.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:51 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• It's called "product placement" and you will be seeing more and more of it in every TV show and movie. It's a way for advertisers to get you to notice their product that you can't fast forward through like a commercial.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:13 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• It was all for Heart Month & a partnership GH has with Campbell's. They totally cold have done it better. Last year's was better, with Diane talking with Alexis about it.
    sherriet

Answer by sherriet at 8:52 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• They are promoting the go red campaign. All of the soap operas (AMC, OLTL, & GH) are doing it.
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 12:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• It all about Heart Health & things like that! Many times Soaps can teach you things!! They touch on Real life, Matters & get the Word out on important things! Watching soaps can be A learning time!! Sometimes it can be the only Adults you see all day if you're a busy SAHM!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:45 AM on Feb. 21, 2009