Would you ever live in a house with a bad history? (family died in the house, violent previous owner, etc)

Would you every buy/live in a house if you knew that a family had died there or that the previous owner had been a serial killer or something crazy like that?

collegexmamix28

Asked by collegexmamix28 at 7:35 PM on Oct. 30, 2013 in Just for Fun

• No. We have one for sale in our town right now as a matter of fact. A murder/suicide.... No way.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:38 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Probably. A lot of people already do and don't realize it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:38 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• With that knowledge, no I would not buy that house.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:39 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Our house is over 110 years old. There have been deaths here.
    We didn't know when we bought it, but I also wasn't about to spend hours at the library researching properties to find out for sure.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Can I get a good deal. lol everything used has a history, I find that exciting.

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 7:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• The tenants in the apartment we are currently living in were JERKS. There are several poorly patched head-sized holes in one wall of the living room where the "dad" shoved his 10-12 year old's head through the wall. There are splatters of red in a spray patter on the ceiling of the living room, and one of the kids' rooms. There are knuckle indents in the back of the front door, and one of the pillars near the front door. There are holes in the door frame of the front door from a contact alarm. When we moved in we had a front door, a back door (to the "deck"), and a door to the master bathroom. All the other ones (6 total) had been kicked to pieces.

We found out after we moved in that the management told them to find a new place to live or they would be evicted.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• If there was something really bad that happened, i.e. any sort of murder/suicide then no I would not be comfortable living in that house. Speaking realistically if you have an older house chances are that someone has died there, but to me there is a difference between someone passing away in the house vs being murdered.
    ActiveHeidi

Answer by ActiveHeidi at 7:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• My husband and I just bought a house over the summer. The first house we made an offer on the couple had been married for nearly 50 years and the wife died of cancer, the husband couldn't handle it and he took some sheets out to the backyard lay down and shot himself.

My first thought was he must have loved her very much.

I have to admit that I was relieved that they didn't accept our offer. I kept thinking that every time I looked out the window that thought would be in my mind, and that our dog would know exactly where it happened.

NotPanicking is right, a lot of people probably do live in places where tragedies have happened, and don't even know it, but I think I'd rather not know.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• How long ago was it? And how much under market value can I get it for? If I could get it for cheap enough, I'd have it stripped to the studs and redone. Then I'd have the house blessed before I moved in and not worry about the past anymore.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:00 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• If I like the house. It feels right to me. I would. Ghosts and all.

Answer by louise2 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 30, 2013