How long til I start feeling better?

I finally broke down and went to the doctor for my tooth. I can't get into the dentist for a month and I'm just worried that if I let the infection go untreated for that long that I would end up hospitalized or dead.

The dr was rude. He told me I have very bad teeth, definitely have an infection and then said that I need to see a dentist. Thankfully he prescribed me some antibiotics.

If I could go back in time, I would drink less soda, eat less sugar, brush and floss more, take prenatal vitamins and see a dentist regularly.

I'm pretty sure that I've learned a very valuable lesson. And that this is going to cost me a lot of money.

So when should I start feeling better?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 9:19 PM on Oct. 30, 2013 in Health

• Antibiotics should kick in in a day or two, but that's just the infection pain. If there's an exposed nerve, it will do nothing for that. He didn't give you any pain killers at all?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Depends on the antibiotic... However, if might take away your pain for a while, but if work needs to be done, it will likely return after the antibiotic wears off. I had an abscessed tooth for about a year. At first I thought it was a sinus infection, took antibiotics and the pain went away... came back two weeks later with a vengeance!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:22 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Please be careful with the aspirin. Excessive use can cause a lot of problems with your gut and liver. Take as little as you can to keep the pain under control
    Daigen

Answer by Daigen at 11:36 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• It should be less painful in 24 hours and realatively ok in about 48 but do not stop taking that antibiotics.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:24 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Soon we hope! Hang in there.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Sorry the doctor was rude to you. There was no call for that. You might feel worse for a day or two after you start taking the antibiotics. I always do. It's like they unleash a war inside the body. But after that, you should start feeling better. Just get in to see that dentist next month, come hell or high water. My stepson, because he had to see a pediatric oral surgeon and it took forever to find one that was taking new patients an his mom's insurance, went through three or four rounds of antibiotics and tooth pain from an infection that kept returning. So even if you feel a hundred percent better, keep that dental appointment. And try the cloves. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:33 AM on Oct. 31, 2013

• He didn't give me any pain killers but mentioned that I should take ibroprofin.

So looks like I'll be stocking up on over the counter. So far excedrin and anacin seem to be keeping the pain manageable.
    Hopefully the next month goes by quickly.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Oh and I will for sure be taking the antibiotics until they are gone. I'm a stickler for that. I don't like dr's and if I can avoid going to them, I do.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• When you get your teeth fixed.

Answer by louise2 at 7:10 AM on Oct. 31, 2013