How would you handle a bus load of school kids?

Ages 10-12 grades 5-7

HELP!!! When writing them up is not enough :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Assigned seating? Separate the ring leaders. Put them in the first seat. If that doesn't work start reaching out to parents. Let them know that their "little darling" is going to loose bus privledges if they don't dial it down.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Talk to the principal and your supervisor. What is the schools policy? What's your bus companies policy?
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Assign bus monitors just find the kids everyone follows,I was one and I did a kick ass jobs of making my classmates behave.
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 10:51 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Get a different job. Seriously it takes a special kind of person to do that job and I'm just not that person.

Have you talked to other drivers? Do you have a progression to follow?

Sorry I'm not making much sense. I'm in a lot of pain right now due to a tooth issue and I know I'm not making much sense. I'm trying. I know what I want to say. I just can't find the words.

So like if the kid does 1 thing then the 1st time you write him up. The 2nd time you write him up with a phone call to parent. And then the 3rd time you suspend him. As in he can't ride the bus for a day or so. Find out from other drivers and/or your boss what authority you have.

Alternatively, you could have some sort of reward system. Like if the kids are well behaved then they get a prize (candy, sticker, pencil, or other small trinket)
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 10:52 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• Valium in a spray can... :)
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• When I was in high school, several of our bus drivers were farmers or retired farmers. You just didn't mess with those dudes!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:03 PM on Oct. 30, 2013

• A hand full of valium, a bottle of vodka, ear muffs, an air horn, and a fire hose.
    Anonymous

• Ha Ha, M-avi! I had one of those! He would slam on his breaks if someone was misbehaving. Most of us would be talking and wouldn't notice that someone was misbehaving then all the sudden our faces would slam into the seat in front of us. We would sit there on the side of the road till everyone was quiet then we got "a talk." I'm not suggesting this because nowadays that probably would get you sued. I agree with talking to the principle, assigning monitors, and giving rewards.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 12:00 AM on Oct. 31, 2013

• Either a heapin' helpin' of saintly patience, or a handful of downers. If the kids won't take them, swallow them yourself and you won't care.

Seriously, talk to your supervisor and see what comes next if writing kids up is ineffective.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:23 AM on Oct. 31, 2013

• Not with mind altering substances! Ask the other drivers or switch buses.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:24 AM on Oct. 31, 2013