If you were dead broke and couldn't afford Christmas

and your only child wasn't even 2 yet,would you go around and ask for help,or would you just do a simple holiday minus all the festivities?
I belong to a group on FB where you can give away and ask for items from people in your area.
The lady needs EVERYTHING for Christmas,tree,ornaments,toys,etc.
I was thinking that the kid won't even remember the day.
If it was me,i'd skip the festivities,and focus on what was important. Spending time with my friends and family.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:33 AM on Oct. 31, 2013 in Holidays

• I would think that I have almost 2 months until Christmas, I would sell my plasma if I had to make sure that my kid had a present. I would not be asking for Christmas decortations etc. A 2 year old will not recall how many presents he got, but I would do my best to make sure that Santa came to visit.
    It sounds a bit greedy to me to be asking for all of those things!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:36 AM on Oct. 31, 2013

• BTW... there is an old Italian saying "Crying with a loaf of bread under their arm". In other words people like that cry hungry (for anything including Christmas Presents) when they already have what they really need & the people that don't cry out are the ones that really need it.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:02 AM on Oct. 31, 2013

• That's absurd to me. I know this is evil of me, and I might be PMSing, but I hope she gets nothing and sees that her 2 year old has a blast with an empty box. Expensive toys and decorations don't mean anything to a 2 year old.
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 10:41 AM on Oct. 31, 2013

• Oky...you need a tree, and someone is going to give you one- you take it, withOUT asking for pics of it first...what the hell?!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:58 AM on Oct. 31, 2013

• She wants pics first? Who does she think she is?
    OMG, I would have a field day with her!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:26 AM on Oct. 31, 2013

• I would concentrate on clothes and blankets and a toy or two. The rest is unnecessary especially for a 2 year old. If you must have lights and trees take your kid in the car for a short drive around a neighborhood that decorates.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:32 AM on Oct. 31, 2013

• You should totally invite her to CM. devil

BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 12:01 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• At 2 years old? You can do a lot of different things for low cost or no cost. I would make sure my child had a gift and that we had food on the table. Those two things would be my priority. A tree? No.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:39 AM on Oct. 31, 2013

• As 2 years old, my kids only paid attention to the boxes that gifts came in, and maybe the cookies I baked. They didn't really give a crap about the other stuff. It almost seemed like a waste of time to make such a big deal out of everything.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:39 AM on Oct. 31, 2013

• She sounds incredibly ungrateful, and she's missing the point of Christmas entirely.

That said, it would break my heart if I had to treat Christmas like any other day. I would at least buy a couple of toys at the dollar store and bake cookies that day. Lots of things can be done to enjoy something without spending a ton. It isn't about whether or not a child remembers a holiday or not.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 31, 2013