What causes someone not to test positive on a home test?

I am truly curious, I would understand if it was too early, but I read quite often that women several months pregnant don't show up as positive.
If this is the case, is it a sign that something could be wrong if you are showing up positive via blood, but not the standard urine test?

2kids2dogs2cats

Asked by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:44 AM on Oct. 31, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Some women just don't get excessive amounts of hcG. My friend failed both urine and blood tests. By the time they did an ultrasound they discovered she was 12 weeks 4 days along.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:22 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• User error?

Idk. I know there are conditions where a test might not show up positive. But it does seem like it's more common here on CM than it really should be.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 31, 2013

• IDK but I was just 5 weeks when I felt like I had the flu. I took a nap & woke suddenly in a panic! I hadn't got my period! I ran upstairs & rummaged through my bathroom cabinet & found pregnancy tests (all paper ones that I got like 50 on ebay for $5.00 about 8 years before!!) BAM! Positive! I almost had a heart attack since I was 43! Had my little surprise when I turned 44! I am so thankful for her! :) So I have NO idea how a test could come up with a false neg unless it was too early & there weren't enough hormones to be detected in the urine.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:08 AM on Oct. 31, 2013

• Maybe they are peeing on the wrong side of the test?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:05 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• It took being late about a week before I got a positive result, but that's not unusual. A lot of women can't test 5 days before their missed period and get a positive result, despite claims by the companies that make the tests.

I've read that towards the end of pregnancy your body stops producing hcg, so its possible that a woman that's 8 month pregnant would not test positive.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 31, 2013

• I've read somewhere that some women's kidneys process differently so that the level of HCG in their urine is never enough to trigger a positive test. I think that is extremely rare though
    Daigen

Answer by Daigen at 10:51 AM on Oct. 31, 2013

• my 1st thought is user error,as well
    After reading a few on here,they're testing too early
    My doc told me to test after missing TWO periods,because no one is exactly 28 days every month,and stress from thinking you ARE pregnant can hold your period back

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 31, 2013

• I never had a positive urine test but that was over 20 years ago when they weren't that accurate. So if my period didn't come in a another week I just went in for a blood test. After it was positive I never took another urine test so maybe it would have been positive later
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 31, 2013

• When I was really pregnant, I never used them. I kinda figured I was pregnant by the way I was feeling and.... wait for it..... I MISSED my period....

I went to the Dr. and had a blood test.

The times that I used a home pregnant test were the scares. Fortunately, they were all negative! YEAH!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:02 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• My cousin was testing negative on hpts and them finally went to her OB by then she was between 9-10 weeks along. She thought her period was trying to normalize after she had her son who is 7 months old, my cousin is now about 18 weeks along. But she took about 6 tests and all were negative.
    CEWarsop

Answer by CEWarsop at 2:45 PM on Oct. 31, 2013