Regular seat belts and kids in coats?

So I see all the stories about car seats and coats not mixing because the straps are not tight enough but I wonder about my 6 year old with his booster seat and using the regular seatbelt. Is a coat okay? The school requests that kids have coats on in the car and are ready to get out right away....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2013 in General Parenting

• yes,because they are self adjusting,where the car seat straps don't move

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• ^What she said.

I just bought a special coat for my 3 year old.
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 2:11 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• I've always wondered what people in cold climates do about coats/car seats. I live in NC and since my kids just go a few feet from warm house to warm car (I warm it up), then a few feet from warm car to warm preschool/store/friends house, and it's rarely really cold I bring along coats but don't put them on my little ones.

Answer by missanc at 2:29 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• Seat belts are fine. They just adjust to you.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:37 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• yes coats in seat belts are just fine. You wear one don't you?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• For car seats you can do a fleece coat and adjust the the straps to the proper tightness, where you can barely fit a finger between them and the strap. Fleece compresses but a puffy coat with down or filling not so much.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• This is the coat we got for the little one. The straps go beneath it.

http://stores.hbarryboollc.com/-strse-12/010-Leopard-REVERSIBLE-%28Small%29/Detail.bok

BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 3:37 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• I always let my DS unbluckle and get his coat and back pack on when we were 'next' in line so he was ready to go.

As far as coats go, if they are cold in the car The take the coat off, buckle, then put the coat back on backwards over the seatbelt/harness.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:36 PM on Oct. 31, 2013