ADHD

My daughter was just diagnosed (5) and I don't know much about it. Does anyone know any good websites? Or info on how your treating your child? I got a few books about it at the library today but any additional info is apprectated!

rachel216

Asked by rachel216 at 7:37 PM on Oct. 31, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Who diagnosed her?
    How long was the process?
    How long ago was the diagnosis?
    What have you tried?

There is not enough information here to really give you a good answer. There are several moms here, me included, that have children with ADD/ADHD.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:45 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• The doctor gave her the diagnosis.. Really new she was just diagnosed Monday 10/28 so we haven't tried anything just yet. Her doc gave her a prescription called quillvant. I just got the prescription today so she will start it tomorrow. The process was about a week total.
    rachel216

Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• Some other info about my dd... She doesn't really sleep she's had a sleep study almost a yr ago that showed her co2 level rises while she sleeps and they think it's caused by a protrusion in her chest bone. We will repeat the sleep study in dec again to see if there are any improvements. We also have an appt with a therapist tomorrow morning.
    rachel216

Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• Isn't a therapist suppose to diagnose ADHD? I think 5 is a little young.

Answer by louise2 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• A doctor can diagnose it, but 5 is awfully young. Doctors typically prefer to wait until a child is at least 7, maybe 6, before they'll diagnose it. I do recall an article, and I can't find it right now, but it mentioned that sometimes sleep issues can create symptoms similar to ADHD - and you mention she had a sleep study and doesn't sleep. Personally, given that information and thinking of the article I read, I'd be getting a second opinion before I medicated my child. Both of my sons have ADHD, and after a few years on meds, they are now no longer medicated. I would really consider getting a second opinion if I were you.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:35 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• They waited until my youngest was in the 3rd grade before testing him and he was diagnosed as being a healthy, busy boy who was bored and needed to be challenged, lol
    He is now an Honor Student in the Navy.
    Don't be too quick to medicate. She's still very young.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 9:11 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• I would not fill any prescriptions until I got a second opinion from a child psychologist, child psychiatrist or developmental ped. They have specialist for a reason.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:53 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• Yes my doc knows about the sleep issues and has a copy of those results on file.... We will get a second opion from her new therapist as well just to make sure. My doc was the one who jumped to the medication... I was more looking for an all natural ways to help treat ... Like diet and any over the counter vitamins that could help her .... Which is why I was asking for any other information on ADHD bc I don't know much about it. I have two books one on ADHD and another called A's to zzzs of sleeping.... Anything else that will help me get more info about different treatments out there would really help me
    rachel216

Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 10:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• Five is not too young. I dx ADHD regularly in children who are five. The earlier interventions are started the more successful the outcomes. Try Russell Barkley's book Taking Charge ADHD. It's on it's third printing and recently updated. Most cases of ADHD dare dx by a pediatrician and managed well by them. The more you know the better you can monitor and manage this disorder. Poor sleeping is common with kids who live with ADHD. Most doctors will suggest melatonin at night. Read, learn, and you all will do great.
    Anonymous

• Feingold elimination diet

On I pad, can not link you up
    But three words will get you there
    When on site, look at overview
    Elimination diet, not same as gluten dairy free, it is the worst chemicals out, and no slip ups
    Could help, and certainly can not hurt to eat this way
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:06 PM on Oct. 31, 2013