Most of the Texas Abortion laws have been reinstated

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/31/21268354-appeals-court-reinstates-most-of-texas-abortion-restrictions?nbc=13131

There are some valid points to favor the laws in this article, one being patient safety.

Do you think that a doctor should have to be able to practice at a hospital (within 30 miles of the clinic) to legally perform abortions?  Do you think that would help to insure patient safety?

THIS IS NOT A DEBATE ON WHETHER ABORTION SHOULD BE  LEGAL FOR EVERY ONE.

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 10:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• honestly, i think patient safety is the last thing on the minds of the politicians who wont let this go. its all about the morality of abortion and appealing to Christian voters. if they cared so much about patient safety they wouldnt be trying to force women to drive hundreds of miles to get a safe abortion instead of resorting to drastic measures or birthing a baby no one wants (including those who are pushing this...they dont want to pay for the welfare these kids may be on).

patient safety is how they are selling this to the ignorant moderate voter who under regular circumstances is pro-choice (but anti-abortion just incase that needs to be said).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:00 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• My civilian doctors off base do not have admitting privileges at the base hospital where I would have to go. So no it isn't about safety to me. It's about controlling women.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• i think any doctor with a current appropriate license should be able to perform an abortion. i dont see the point in them having to work at a nearby hospital. what if the abortion clinic is their full time job? not seeing why they're selling it as patient safety.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• I'm not sure why the edit in all red? Didn't we answer correctly?
    Daigen

Answer by Daigen at 11:15 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• I think in a state the size of Texas (and anyone that's driven anywhere within Texas knows), 30 miles is unrealistic for many communities.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:04 AM on Nov. 1, 2013

• I don't think patient safety has anything anything to do with it, to be honest. It's isn't always the case that your family doctor has privileges at the closest hospital. That is why the hospitals have their own staff. If they're using privileges as the basis for the argument I would expect they will require the same of every medical doctor in the state.
    Daigen

Answer by Daigen at 11:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• It is an excuse
    Nothing more

Hospital close by...give me a break
    Anonymous

• There is nothing safe about making women drive hundreds of miles to see a doctor because they write a law that makes it impossible for any hospital to accept new doctors, and the only existing ones are located in 3 major cities.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:38 AM on Nov. 1, 2013

• 30 miles is unrealistic for many communities.

Even more unrealistic when the law specifically prohibits hospitals from adding any new doctors. Even if there is a hospital within 30 miles, they'll be severely penalized if they take any new doctors in any way associated with a clinic. Course, if it's a small town, and that doctor is ALSO the only OB/GYN in town, guess people are going to have to find a midwife, because he's not allowed to attend their hospital birth, either.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:28 AM on Nov. 1, 2013

• "because he's not allowed to attend their hospital birth, either."

sounds safe to me!!

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:16 PM on Nov. 1, 2013