Did your child go through a smelling phase?

I know this sounds like an odd question, but it is a serious one. My daughter seems obsessed with smelling things. Anything she touches, her clothes, toys, the coffee tables, her brush, the couch, the floor, the door. EVERYTHING! Is this normal behavior? Never known any other kids to do this. Am I crazy or is it weird?

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 11:26 PM on Oct. 31, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• LOL! You never know. I think the 5 year old granddaughter is OCD too. She's always straightening things, putting them in order, etc....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:46 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• I never really noticed this until a friend pointed out that some people are just "smellers"... I guess that means they smell everything. She said her brother used to and still does this to this day.

Is she just smelling something and associating it with likes or dislikes, maybe???
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:28 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• Last night it seemed to be about likes, lol, "mom I smell the chocolate that's a good one". Not normally though, she just sniffs everything and when I asked what she is doing she says "I smell the brush" "I smell the floor" and so on.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• Well, it might be she is just one of those people. My friend said it would make her crazy because he would do things like scratch his head and then sniff his fingers.... Ugh... I haven't really ever noticed anyone doing that though.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:39 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• Yeah she does that. Lol, scratches things and sniffs, sniffs her knees. As long as she doesn't go sniffin other kids where she shouldn't I guess I will have to deal with it. Also wondering if it might be an OCD thing, because I am 50% convinced she has OCD. lol
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• Sophie loses it if anything is out of order. She can't sleep if there is anything on her floor, she just screams until I go in and fix whatever it is, a random sock, a missed toy, you name it, it can't be on her floor while sleeping. She freaks out if a door is open when it is normally closed, like the pantry or entertainment stand, her blanket has to be positioned perfectly in her hand before she can suck her thumb, the list goes on and on.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2013

• My 4yrold is a "smeller." But he comes by it honestly I guess. My sense of smell works pretty well. At this age, though, I think they are learning so much and tend to notice new things more. Some people are just more aware of their senses. Even as an infant, my son would take notice of patterns and the way different items such as my shirt or how the fabric on the recliner felt. Kids are just little individuals. I think what you described in your responses are a bit extreme. It's sounds like she is very overwhelmed. But, you're the mom, follow your instincts if you are concerned.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 10:47 AM on Nov. 1, 2013