Is this only going to ger worse?

my oldest is in the sixth grade now. ever since she was in the third grade she has been losing focus, staring into space and having the teacher repeating themselves ten times before she fully understands what she's suppose to be doing. and then she gets these major headaches to go with it. i keep taking her to the drs to find out what's going on and the drs don't seem to care! i'm taking her to a new dr on thurs and hoping they will listen. the place i plan to take her is hooked up to a collage, they are the ones who found my friend has throat cancer and we are all hoping they will find out why she's doing this. my friend's wife has siezers and thinks that's what may be wrong with my daughter. because she does the same thing at home as she does in school. he last dr visit the dr said she's only doing this because she's depressed. my daughter almost hit him because she says she's not depressed, she just likes to wear the color black to her it makes her look scary so the bullies don't try anything with her.
anyone else have a problem that their dr won't listen to you?
and yes this is hte same dr who got mad at me because i told him that the speach teacher said my youngest tonsil's look a little bigger than normal. two weeks later she got them out.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 6:17 AM on Nov. 1, 2013 in Kids' Health

• If all the doctors are telling you there is nothing wrong, there probably isn't. You would probably be better off to stick with one doctor, rather than going from one to another. That way, the doctor can look for patterns and for new symptoms. There can be all kinds of emotional and psychological explanations for your child's behavior. It could be something as simple as that she doesn't like going to school and doesn't care to learn. I've dealt with a couple of those children, and you have to explain to them that they don't have to like school, but they do have to go and they have to do the work. They don't have to like it. Another possibility is that she has learned that she can use these behaviors to get extra attention from you. Try to find one doctor that you can stick with and let him/her try to figure out what the real problem is, and don't try to diagnose her yourself.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:07 AM on Nov. 1, 2013

• Sounds like seizures. Demand a referral to a neurologists for a brain scan.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:49 AM on Nov. 1, 2013

• Yep,absence seizures

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:51 AM on Nov. 1, 2013

• Has she not had some sort of scan of her head, like an MRI or CT scan? Just rule out other possible causes, also if you suspect seizures request an EEG. GL

So far we have no had a problem with my kid's pediatrician. They found my DD "malrotated" kidney at a well check up and quickly referred us to a nephrologist/urologist. Hopefully you get some answers.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:19 AM on Nov. 1, 2013

• Can you switch Dr.s? Maybe talk to your friends and see who has a good opinion of theirs. My friend had all sorts of trouble with her daughter's ped and switched to mine and was amazed at how much better the care was.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:31 AM on Nov. 1, 2013

• Has your daughter had an EEG, to measure her brain waves?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:32 AM on Nov. 1, 2013

• I agree sounds like absent seizures. I have them(had them a lot more before I got pregnant and had my son). Runs in my family.

See the new doctor and demand they do the testing that others mentioned...do not take no for an answer.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2013

• they go to a health clinic, where there are more than one dr who takes care of the kids. that is where medical put them, there are 5 drs in all, and the only way to get to see the same dr is if you know what day that dr works. the one dr that actually wanted to help my daughter, is no longer there. and the guy that replaced her is a jerk!
    no she hasn't had any scans of any kind which is why i'm taking her on thursday. i'm hoping they will be able to do something.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2013

• Keep pressing the docs for answers. Don't let up. Eventually they will move forward just because they are so annoyed. That is what I wish my parents would have done for me instead of just letting me live in pain for years and then having to start all over as an adult to find answers.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 5:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2014

• I'd see a specialist. It could just be hormonal.
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 9:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2014