How did he not understand her homework assignment? Vent

DD's homework was to write a word problem to use the number sentence 6-4=2. I asked him to make sure she used the word difference since she had to use one of her math vocabulary words. This is what they came up with....
I have 6 apples. Maurice took 2 of my apples. The difference is 4.
I got in and checked the assignment and asked how it went. He feels he did the assignment correctly. He even stated that he read her homework assignment twice to make sure that it was right. I on the other hand said that the wording they used is not what the assignment asked for and that they never asked a question only gave an answer. He says it's only 1st grade, not college so it's okay. So as not to continue the discussion I left the room and went to bed. This morning I make her redo the assignment and she tell her dad that they did it wrong. DS chimes in about the assignment and why does she have to do it again. So DH states,, don't worry I won't help you again with your homework. This is only like the 3rd time he's helped in the 3 months she's been in school this year. What I am I missing? I can't always be there to do the assignments and he needs to be able to help with the homework when I can't. How do you read it twice and still not write a word problem.

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 9:22 AM on Nov. 1, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It probably is best if you help her. He isn't reading the instructions clearly and following them. He either doesn't understand them, or isn't trying one of the two.

Your option is to let her turn in the homework the way they did it and let the teacher tell him their wrong, or you help her.

Truly, your daughter should be doing the homework herself, and when she gets stuck, or when you go over the homework, you should ask her what the instructions are and if she understands them. If SHE reads the instructions, she should be able to understand them and do the work herself. if she clearly didn't understand the instructions, just explain them, ask her what they mean and let her do the work.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:13 AM on Nov. 1, 2013

• What I am I missing?

Do you know the teacher wouldn't accept that, or are you assuming? Also, kid's don't die from getting things wrong, but they do fail to learn if you tell them exactly how to do things.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:28 AM on Nov. 1, 2013

• Do you want to continue to do something when someone keeps telling you you are doing wrong?
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:40 AM on Nov. 1, 2013

• I bet he never tries to help again and I don't blame him. Talk about micromanaging.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:21 AM on Nov. 1, 2013

• SO when you made her redo it, did you tell her what to write, or did you ask her what she thinks the sentence should be? Because if you're just telling her what to write, then she's not doing the homework, you are.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 1, 2013

• Maybe he isn't good with math, I would say that it might be best if he doesn't help her, LOL!
    Seriously this is a petty thing, he was most likely embarassed that he confused the numbers, so instead of making an issue with him, just have her redo the problem.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 9:25 AM on Nov. 1, 2013

• Usually when I ask DH to help the kids with something I know that I have to let go of the control and let him do it his way. I don't like to micromanage people, neither does he. The teacher might have been fine with the sentence he came up with.  Honestly, if my kids understand what they are supposed to do, I make them come up with their own sentence and then I will help them fine tune it.  That's the only way I know they understand what they are working on.

Perhaps both you and your DH should have submitted your own wording and see who gets the most credit.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:13 AM on Nov. 1, 2013

• let her do her own homework. She can't be worse than he is at it.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:35 AM on Nov. 1, 2013

• How is it micromanaging when you're suppose to write a math problem using the solution 6-4=2 and you don't ask a question.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Nov. 1, 2013

• I went over the work with her before I left and she knew how to write a question for the math problem. The only thing he really needed to do was to have her reword it using the word difference like the teacher asked.
    @ ohwrite ,,,, that's normally what I do. Let her figure it out and go over the work with her when she's done.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Nov. 1, 2013