Was this appropriate?

They're not allowed to do Halloween so they call it a storybook parade. The school allows the kids to dress as their favorite storybook character or some of the teachers allowed the kids to make a mask in class to wear if they didn't have a costume to wear. They then walk around the gym showing off their costumes & creations. Most of the kids had the usual batman, princess, superhero, animal masks type of costumes. But one child comes in with a hoodie on and a hand written sign saying they he was Trayvon Martin. Was this appropriate for the parade? I'm not sure if the teacher spoke to him or really looked at the costume before he left the classroom. But a few of the parents and teachers near me were surprised to see it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Nov. 1, 2013 in Holidays

• Well, last I knew Trayvon wasn't a storybook character, but a real person. I don't know if it was appropriate or not, but kind of admire his being informed enough to make the statement, I assume that nobody cared, or else they would have sent him home, or called his parents?
    In the scope of things, it was a party, and he used his right to express himself, so to me I wouldn't have cared.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:50 AM on Nov. 1, 2013

• Not appropriate for a school storybook parade, but I wouldn't have fed his or his parent's agenda by giving it attention.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:04 PM on Nov. 1, 2013

• So not appropriate and most likely not even his idea or choice. If the parents want to spread a message, they should do it on their own time.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2013

• Nope. Not appropriate.
    And I'm sure the kid didn't choose that costume on his own, but was put up to it by a parent that wanted to make a statement, OR was trying to wing a last minute costume.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:42 PM on Nov. 1, 2013

• Nope and he should not have been allowed to wear it for two reasons. The first is the long standing rule about causing a disturbance in the school, which this was designed to do.
    The second is that the "rules" of participation was that it was to be a favorite STORYBOOK character.
    Did anyone complain?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2013

• wow, yeah thats inappropriate for several reasons. but if anyone made a stink about it i can guarantee his idiot parents would have made a huge "youre racist" protest about it, even tho it doesnt fit the rules for the parade.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2013

• I have heard of other people being him for Halloween. Obviously it is not appropriate.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:28 PM on Nov. 1, 2013

• nope...
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 2:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2013

• If Trayvon had been my child, I'm pretty sure I'd be upset over him being turned in to a storybook parade character
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:25 PM on Nov. 1, 2013

• Dislike.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2013