Jury duty? Somewhat a pregnancy question

Alright I just got a summons for jury duty. The problem I have with it is that I am having a baby in a week. The duty does not start for 2 weeks after I am scheduled for induction. What should I do here? It says that I can apply if I have a medical reason for an extension. I'm not sure if giving birth counts as a medical reason. Does anyone know if I would be able to postpone it? Also if I postpone it might interfere with my going back to work 6 weeks after the baby is born. I'm so frustrated! Why does everything have to happen at once. I'm having a baby, moving, and now jury duty on top of that. Any advice on what I should do?

pinkbutterfly

Asked by pinkbutterfly at 3:59 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I got a summons 4 weeks after the boys were born. I went, thinking that I could just do it, and not have to deal with it later, well, I was selected as a grand juror and then told them that I was BF so, I got out of it for a few months.

I got re-called when they were 10 months old, and it was only a one day deal.

My advice is to call the jury office, explain your situation, and ask for a postponement.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 7:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• i know someone that was summoned right around the time that she was supposed to give birth and she told them her situation and they excused her
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• you can get out of it for medical reasons. just send in the paper work
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Yes, it counts.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Just tell them you are about to give birth between the times they have listed and once the baby is born you will be breastfeeding.

Anonymous

• My mum got out of duty because she was BF me, so I would imagine it is possible.
    mummy2tristan

Answer by mummy2tristan at 4:01 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• umm...i got like a survey thingie once (i dont know if this is the same thing as a summons...) and it asked all kinds of questions and one of them was are you pregnant. On the back of the survey, it said that if you are pregnant , you are exempt from jury duty
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 4:02 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Of course it counts. They don't want you going into labor during a trial lol. How far are you moving? You might be able to get out of it all together if you are moving out of the county. The last time I got called I had to reschedule because I was leaving for vacation a few days later but I never went on my rescheduled date. Obviously that's not the right thing to do, but nothing ever happened and that was almost 2 years ago.
    Anonymous

• No no are you pregnant questions. In fact no questions at all they just sent the summons and want me to show up march 18 at 8am downtown. They said that it is a mandatory 5 day service, and could take up to 4mos if it turns into a grand jury case.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 4:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I'm not moving out of the county, but I did read that if I was I would be exempt. Now I wish I was LOL.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 4:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2009