DS seems emotional, is it normal?

He's 10 and I'm thinking this could be hormones. He was a little weepy tonight, and I still can't figure out why. He can't or won't tell me or DH. He just says he doesn't know why he is sad or upset.

Is this normal? It makes me feel sad for him, and sad that I can't help.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 12:30 AM on Nov. 2, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• It's very normal Quinn and it doesn't get better. It's hormones.
    We used to constantly ask our boys, are you alright? Do you want to talk etc. And they would get so irritated, lol
    Sometimes, they just want to be alone and it is worrisome, but they do out grow it, thankfully.

I was really hoping not having girls, I wouldn't have to deal with hormones but man I was wrong, lol
    All I can say is, don't hover and the emotions will dissipate.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 1:59 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• Maybe he is tired from Halloween and candy (if you trick or treated that is) lol. Just have a quiet story time with him and casualy throw in a you know you can always talk to me about anything right, I won't judge you or get mad. My job is to love you no matter what even if your just grumpy. And leave it at that. If he wants to talk or just cuddle he can.
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 12:52 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• Awww. How sad! Hope he gets feeling better soon.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:40 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• Boys aren't much different than girls as far as hormones, and 10 is pretty much when it starts for most kids. It could just be a combination of hormonal stuff and post Halloween let down. I have all girls, but idk how many times in the past 10 yrs I've heard 'I don't know' when I ask one of them what's wrong. I just give them a little more space and tell them they can talk to me about it if they want to.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• It's normal. My 13 yo ds is normally a very low key easygoing guy but occasionally over the last couple years he'll tear up for seemingly no reason and excuse himself to his room. I check on him but have learned its best to not get myself upset too. When he's ready he'll talk to me about it.

Answer by missanc at 10:51 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• It is sad Quinn. Our sons typically bonded with me throughout their school years, dad would have his feelings hurt.
    Now that one is 27 and the other is 23, they love me but now it's all about dad.
    I cook for them :)
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:38 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• He seems normal this morning. I've seen him get really angry with his sister and it brings on fights, which while normal - it is still a departure from his demeanor. He's nowhere near as physically aggressive with his sister as my brother was with me, and my friends brothers with them. When he says he doesn't know what's wrong I believe that he at least partially doesn't know what's causing him to be so emotional. That's why I think it's hormones, but I know there are things that have to bother him that he doesn't really talk about and I don't want him to feel like he has to keep that in. He's mostly depended on me emotionally rather than DH. I'm thinking this is the time he is going to need more leadership from DH. IDK. I'm feeling a little sad that the happy wonderful little boy I have is growing up. :o(

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• At ten that puts him in third grade? It could be lots of things. Anything from changes in school, depending on the school system, many third graders are doing more intensive work. Could be changes in social issues and friend groups at school. Could be he is entering a new developmental stage. He most likely may not even know. I have a child who gets weepy and will actually say he has no idea why he is crying. Life can be overwhelming and children do actually experience stress/anxiety and (yes even) episodes of sadness/depression. Keeping an eye on him, making sure he knows you are there for him, fixing his favorite foods, giving him some extra support and love, giving him space just to be weepy....all those things can be helpful. If it continues more than two weeks I would suggest contacting his doctor.
    Anonymous