4 year olds lying and stealing, is this normal?

My twins are starting to lie. I'm wondering if they're even old enough to understand the concept but I try to explain it to them every time I ask.
for example, when I drop them off at daycare I will say "do you have a car in your pocket?" 'no' "if you have a car in your pocket and you say no, that is lying. are you lying to me?" 'no' but then I find a car in their pocket.
Maxx keeps bringing things home from school that aren't his. small toys that fit in his pocket and then he insists they are his, even though we know they aren't.

is this behavior normal for the age?
what is the best way to explain what lying and stealing is that you have found effective?

AllyB_

Asked by AllyB_ at 12:56 AM on Nov. 2, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds normal to me. Pick up some books at the library if you need a better grasp on how they develop and think. I need to go myself, my girl turns 4 soon. She has started hiding things and I know my niece at 4 did the same thing. Love and cherish love and cherish.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:17 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• From about age 4 on, children lie for many of the same reasons adults do: to avoid punishment, to gain an advantage, to protect against an unwanted consequence, and even to boost self-esteem. Youngsters, like adults, sometimes lie to demonstrate power, to maintain privacy, or to protect a friend. When a child lies, she is essentially trying to change a situation, to reconstruct things the way she wants them to be.

There is a developmental progression to lying. At the first level, the child wants to achieve some goal or reward by saying something that she knows or believes to be false. Her intention may be to affect the listener's behavior — to avoid punishment or receive a reward, for example.:

cont...

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:06 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• Friggin CM wouldn't post with the link in that response, so go here to read the whole thing: the rest here- 

the rest here-  http://www.scholastic.com/parents/resources/article/stages-milestones/truth-about-lying

and another one that's good is here: http://raisingchildren.net.au/articles/lies.html
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:07 AM on Nov. 2, 2013