Does the world only see him as.....?

My aunt, who is against interracial anything, said no matter what the world will see my son as black. This happened when I was prego and I said my baby isn't black. She said because I'm the mother I trump everything and he is being raised by a black woman therefore he will be "black". I have no problem with that but I think his ethnic mix is cool, black/arab (yemen). I really don't know what other ppl see when they look at my son (like if they can tell he is mixed) and all I see is my little baby (colorblind). Is my aunt correct? Or is she spouting off her generational attitude? I want my son to be proud he is both. I feel special he is half Arab and mine :)

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 9:38 AM on Nov. 2, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My mother is hispanic, my father white. You can see by my picture that I take after my father's side. People do asign you race, and they assume that's who you are...right or wrong.

The most important thing is that your child knows his value....regardles off other people's perceptions of who he is. I've had people say things that were insulting to my maternal side of the family without them realizing who I am. I've also had similar judgement against me more directly because I'm mixed and look only white.

It doesn't matter if your black white, heavy, thin, have perfect skin or are covered in freckles....people will judge based on appearance, and it's something we all have to learn to handle no matter what we look like. We even place value on ourselves based on appearance. Love your child for who he is, and teach him to do the same.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2013

• Idk, I don't really look at people and think 'oh he's black, or oh she's white, etc.' so idk. Just raise him to be proud of who he is, and what other people think shouldn't matter (easier said than done sometimes with people like your aunt out there).
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:44 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• Does it really matter? Yes, the world will probably see him as black. The world sees Obama as the "first black president" because he looks black. People see me as white although technically I am part Cherokee, because I look white. But as long as he knows who he is, it doesn't really matter what others think.

Answer by missanc at 10:46 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• I don't tend to look at people and think they're white, black, etc. or try to figure out what they are. I may sometimes ask, but usually it's something like, "Wow, your daughter is beautiful, but I noticed her hair/eyes/nose/whatever is really unique. Is she part ______?" But it doesn't make a difference to me. I have a cousin who had a baby with her black boyfriend, and two others who had babies with hispanic men - I don't go around saying, "My cousin's half white, half black son" or "My cousin's half white, half hispanic daughter". They're just my cousin's kids. Period.

I think you have the right attitude, and even if your aunt is right about how people see him, so what? What really matters is how he sees himself, and THAT depends on how you raise him.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:57 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• Yes they will but always continue to instill the best of both cultures in him.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• the world does not see him as black or arab or any race
    some people always will (the aunt is one)

i think (hope) most people will see a little boy playing in the sandbox, or riding a tric, laughing, being silly etc
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:20 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• the only time i personally would be thinking about his race, is if someone asked me "what do you think that child's race is." and then i probably would assume he is black b/c that comes across first, even if a child is mixed white/black they "look" black to most ppl.

i always find it funny when any American is against interracial marriage...cause if one digs into their ancestry far enough theres a good chance they will find out they are not 100% any race. especially, if their ancestors were slaves.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2013

• I think the world should see him as "johnny", until we can get to the point where we judge a person by his skin color, perhaps the "world" will see him as exoctic?
    I get where you are going, and you are raising him the right way!
    BTW- Louise, I would have never fathomed that you had "mixed" children, you never cease to amaze me!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2013

• He looks black/African american to me. My girls are half black half white.

Answer by louise2 at 10:30 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• With a negative attitude like that, racism is always going to be a touchy subject.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 10:35 AM on Nov. 2, 2013