Is it inappropriate...?

to congratulate someone on becoming a father soon, when their girlfriend is in the hospital? a friend of mine just dropped that on me and i didn't even know his GF was pregnant. would it be extremely offensive to say congratulations, since she's in the hospital having a difficult pregnancy?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:45 AM on Nov. 2, 2013 in Relationships

• so glad i have a place to come to to learn proper etiquette lol
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• I don't know that I would describe it as inappropriate, but I would not congratulate him. I would just ask if there was anything I could do to help her right now.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:50 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• I would wait until she is out of the hospital. You could call him and say that you just found out that his girlfriend is in the hospital and ask if there is anything that you could do.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:50 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• I agre with NannyB. Hold off on congratulating for now and just offer support.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:52 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• No, I think it's ok to do that, just had something about wanting the GF to have a better pregnancy.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:57 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• You congratulate him on being a soon to be father. You are not saying anything about her difficult pregnancy.

Answer by louise2 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• I agree with Nanny....

It doesn't sound like you are very close to whomever this is- since you haven't been a part of things up to this point. I would just leave it alone and congratulate them after the birth. There may be some complications going on with the baby or expectant mom.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 12:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2013

• I don't think it's inappropriate at all, as lon as you add a genuine and practical offer of help, whatever that may look like for you.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2013

• agree nanny
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 3:34 PM on Nov. 3, 2013