Oklahoma has had 4 earthquakes today (so far)

http://earthquaketrack.com/p/united-states/oklahoma/recent

and it's suspected that they're caused by fracking (that has a link to more info if you aren't familiar with fracking and why so many people have issues with it)

Should they stop?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:10 AM on Nov. 2, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Huh, my radar is not showing anything:

http://folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu/recenteqs/Quakes/quakes0.html

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:14 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• Wow, they're having their share!
    I had to update myself on fracking, it's been a while since I heard that term.
    Isn't this the reason the politicians did not want Alaska to drill for oil? I could be wrong...
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:29 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• Oh, I guess mine doesn't go that far west... I never realized that.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:33 AM on Nov. 2, 2013

• Frack baby frack. Since the natural gas companies et all control the message getting out and pretty much write the rules, the general public will be told it's safe and okay. For those of us who do peel off the next few layers of that onion, it becomes more complex. How can this not be screwing up the earth and destroying our water. Parts of Texas are losing water because these franking companies are taking it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2013

• SW Oklahoma here. Have not felt anything today.

Answer by louise2 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2013

There's also no fracking in SW OK. That's why all 112 earthquakes this year were NW of you.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2013

• ive felt the 3.6 one (all 4 epicenters are in my area). but the deal is most ppl here cant tell a small earthquake from a really strong guest of wind (myself included, i assumed the 3.6 one was just strong wind). plus, today is windy (like we ever have a day that isnt haha).

its totally the fraking. they started doing it right down the street from my house and all of a sudden we've been getting more earthquakes. same thing happened last year when they did it in the same place. its just sad that most ppl dont/wont care until something huge and tragic happens...then they will start really researching fraking and then well...hindsight is 20/20. yes they should stop...at least in residential areas.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2013

• Scary. But of course, we've all been assured it's perfectly safe. *Eye roll.*
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2013

• There is Meers fault line that goes right through OK, and then there is the New Madrid fault line.

map showing location of Meers Fault in Lawton and Kiowa Counties

This is the Meers fault line

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:14 AM on Nov. 3, 2013

• And this is the New Madrid Seismic Zone

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:19 AM on Nov. 3, 2013