Is it okay to start giving him the dissolving Gerber Graduate snacks?

My son is almost 7 months old and has his two bottom teeth and part of two of his back teeth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• for sure!! my DD is also 7 months and she doesnt have any teeth yet and I give them to her. she loves them and has figured out how to chew them without any teeth. its definitely nice that they dissolve!! i started out by breaking up the puffs into smaller pieces to help her learn that they were different from her regular food and within a week i started giving them to her whole and she loves them!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 4:12 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Do you mean those puffs? My daughter started those at about 8 months. I was told when they are able to use their two fingers to "pinch" the food and bring it to their mouths they can have them, but I always watched her very carefully anyway.
    Anonymous

• absolutely, as long as he can get them to his mouth. My DD like them, but can't figure out how to get them to her mouth.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:13 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Sure. You'll be surprised at what they can handle with so little teeth! You should try Baby Mum Mums too. They are rice rusks that are large enough for them to hold in a fist grip and they dissolve very quickly in their mouths. They can gum them really easily. They're safe for babies as soon as they'll take food on a spoon. I love them because they are so easy to give when we're out and about...much easier than cheerios or puffs.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Yeah, you can if they can chew them, but honestly, all that stuff is a baby version of junk food. You're much better of giving whole grain snacks, fruits, and vegetables.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 4:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I would say yes on the puffs, but stay away from the biter biscuits. I gave my son one of those at the recommended age of 10 months. He bite off a piece and it lodged in his throat. He starting turning blue and my husband had to turn him on his tummy and hit his back really hard to get it out. It scared the heck out of me and out they went in the trash!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 5:12 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I'd say yes. We started finger/table foods at 6 months. Teeth don't have anything to do with it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My son is 8.5 months and we started giving him some Puffs when he had his two bottle teeth, probably about a month ago. He has figured out how to put them in his mouth recently and really enjoys them. I was worried about him choking on them, which is why I waited so long to give him table food.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Yeah they are fine, I break little pieces off and give some to olivia who is 4 almost 5 months old. They are treats.
    amber325

Answer by amber325 at 2:13 PM on Feb. 20, 2009