How to store garlic?

I usually get garlic from walmart but this time I got it from Sams (2Lbs). I would like to know the best way to keep them fresh and how long they can be stored that way.

revathy

Asked by revathy at 4:15 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• We love to shop at Sam's as well. I store garlic in a hanging basket over the kitchen sink. That's also where I store potatoes and onions. The garlic keeps 6-8 weeks. I don't know if it would keep longer, we never have it longer than that.
    arctophile

Answer by arctophile at 4:22 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• What are you going to do with 2lbs of garlic-that sounds like soooo much, but I guess I'm not a cook. Hmmm..so much I don't know about cooking.
    Anonymous

• I use garlic all the time. It's one of our staple spices. I think garlic is like onions, if you store it in a cool, dry place it will last longer. They actually have terra-cotta jars with a lid and holes in the body to specifically store garlic. Not sure why, but it's supposed to keep it fresher longer.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 10:43 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• we use to dry our garlic in the garage in the dark.. and then bring it in the house and leave it under the sink..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2009