my 4 year old daughter stays awake all night and sleeps most of the morning is this bad?

trac312

Asked by trac312 at 8:20 AM on Nov. 3, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• OK until she starts school. Why isn't she sleeping? Have you found out why? Did you ask her? Is she getting enough activity during the day?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:22 AM on Nov. 3, 2013

• It will be once school starts. Unless of course you are planning to home school. Plus it will keep her from doing too much with friends who are on the normal awake during the day and sleep at night. I guess it depends on your definition of "bad".
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:22 AM on Nov. 3, 2013

• I'd probably try to get her up earlier each day in the hope that she'd be sleepier at night.

Answer by Bmat at 8:35 AM on Nov. 3, 2013

• I think the transition to school hours will be very difficult for her unless you do something to modify her sleep schedule WAY before she starts school.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:47 AM on Nov. 3, 2013

• In all seriousness my 4 year old just started this. It is awful. She was up til past midnight last night.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2013

• As long as she is getting enough sleep it isn't going to harm her, but I would think it would be better for school to try and start having her go to bed earlier, a couple of days of waking her up early, and then putting her to bed earlier should fix it.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:08 AM on Nov. 3, 2013

• Wake her up at a normal consistent time each morning. Don't let her sleep all morning. Put her to bed at a decent hour every night. You can change her sleep schedule but it will take some work and won't be pleasant.

Answer by missanc at 12:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• Let me think. You are training her into this sleep pattern. She will go to school in a year. UM well gee she can just get them to change the start times for her.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• my son did this until he went to kindergarten. and even now if I put him to bed to early he is up at midnight and stays up all night. so I think it is fine now and you may even need to put her to bed a little later then normal children's bedtimes.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 5:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• You've got less than a year to fix it. Better start now!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:19 AM on Nov. 4, 2013