Do you believe in ADHD? What about other behavioral disorders?

http://www.scarymommy.com/wild-unruly-child/

Anyone who has ever doubted teh existance of these disorders should read the persective of the woman who wrote the article/blog above.  It is an amazing representation of every parent who has raised or is currently raising a child with a true behvioral disorder.  

Even though this article is about ADHD it amazingly mirrors our journey with our son who has High Functioning Autism.  She just described his early childhood.

Thoughts?  

(Please, if at all possible,  read the article/blog before answering to keep things relevant to the topic)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Nov. 3, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Of course I believe in it. It's proven to exist. So have other behavioral disorders. Not interested in reading a link that could have a potential computer virus.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:47 AM on Nov. 3, 2013

• Oh please, if there was virus I would not have posted it. It is a link I got from a friend on facebook. ni fact it all over facebook right now. You may have already read it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2013

• I have that child and I am that mom. So far we have been lucky when it comes to his teachers, that is until this year. His teacher has openly admitted that she doesn't understand ADHD and that my son needs to be normal or he won't have any friends.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:54 AM on Nov. 3, 2013

• I don't face book. I've gotten three viruses from facebook alone. All three at the same time in fact. All the more reason NOT to read it. I have three boys with autism. Two of them also have ADHD. That's enough reason to believe in the disorders.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:55 AM on Nov. 3, 2013

• Jeremy's mom that is you on the link. Kewlio. I had to fight to get teacher's that do understand these things. Sorry your current teacher doesn't get it. Is there anyway you can change teachers?
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2013

• Oh, no, that's not really me. I was referring to what is described in the article. My son and I have been through almost all of those situations that the article mentions. Unfortunately, his school does not allow for us to switch teachers. Up until this point they have allowed both myself and his Pre-K, Kindergarten, and 1st grade teacher to suggest which teacher would be a good fit for him. Since he is in 3rd grade now, they want him to realize that life won't always give him what he wants and/or needs. It's just so frustrating because she takes all of her frustration out of him. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:04 AM on Nov. 3, 2013

• read it
    i have child with high functioning autism
    most of it sounds like i my days
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:06 AM on Nov. 3, 2013

• OP
    you can copy and paste article into your question
    as OP you get more characters than an answerer

i would but it would take 5-7 separate boxes- easy
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:07 AM on Nov. 3, 2013

• Ah ok. Still you would think teachers could be more understanding.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:10 AM on Nov. 3, 2013

•  Still you would think teachers could be more understanding.

You would think so. His teacher has been a fifth grade teacher for a few years and this is her first year teaching 3rd grade. She treats the students as if they are in 5th grade. I was hoping it would subdue by now, but it hasn't. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:14 AM on Nov. 3, 2013