DoD is going after Indiana, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas and West Virginia for civil rights violations against guardsmen

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=121038

This isn't something they can contest - it's already been to the SCOTUS, and the rights of federal employees were established.  Will they start firing people, or will the be stupid enough to try and fight it anyway?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• They will find whatever way they can to fire them.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

I was referring to the higher ups going against the direct order. Are you saying that, or suggesting they'll start systematically firing all the gay servicemen and women?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• I have a feelings some folks will be unemployed
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 12:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• I am suggesting that they'll start systematically firing all the gay servicemen and women. Whether it be for not passing a PT test or for "phasing out" their job. They will figure out a way to get rid of them so that it won't look like they are doing it because they are gay. Maybe not all of them, but I would say a good bit of them.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• Either that or they will try and fight it. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• They will find a way to fire them. Throw an unspecified UCMJ article 134 at them. Maybe a personality disorder NOS. The military is no longer in the business of helping out their troops. It's a CYA operation and if they want someone out they will find a way. Okay pretty much what Jeremysmom said.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• I agree with Iz, especially here in TX. I swear, because this state is so "red" with very little vocal opposition, the leaders & their followers are convinced that they are right, without even stopping to think about it.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• I do not see how the DOD can do that. The National Guard is not federally funded, its state funded. It could even be considered a militia .Most of the time, it’s under the control of individual states, with the state governor acting as commander in chief. The DOD can't force the states to enforce the same sex benefits that the active military same sex spouses have. The only time the fed govt can tell the NG what to do is if Obama activates them in time of emergency.
    I see where the civil right violations come in at, but the people who want to have the same benefits and such as the military SS spouses do, they are the ones who need to push it, the DOD shouldn't be the ones to do that. If the same sex spouses what the same treatment, they need to all band together against the states who are not allowing the same benefits and get a civil rights atty and then go to the DOD or whoever.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 9:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2013