Induced.

Who has been induced and still not had an epidural? Did you have any pain medication? How long did it take from the time you were induced to when you had your baby? There's a possibility I will be induced tomorrow. I'm 37 wks. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I didn't get induced but my labor stopped progressing on its own and they gave me petocin (the drug they use to induce) and the labor pains got much worse afterwards. I got the epidural right after...I just couldn't take it. I suggest you get the epidural if you're going to be induced. Just my opinion though. Congrats!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• i was like the first poster. my labor stopped progressing also so they gave me the petocin. the pain is much more intense with the petocin. I did get an epidural, but for some reason my body did not take to it, and i pretty much had natural labor that cost me an extra $2000 lol. It does hurt, but you can do it without pain meds! I was in labor for 30 hours, but i had a unique situation. my DD was face up and her head was pushing on my pelvic bone instead of coming down to dialate. it sucked! but you can do it!! As far as how long it takes it will vary from person to person. my best friend was induced and from the time she walked into the hospital to the time the baby was out was 14 hours, my sis in law was induced too and it only took her 6 hours. good luck!! and congrats!!!!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 4:27 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• That is something else to consider - the epidural can slow the labor down. They say it doesn't but it does. If you go without drugs, you might be in more pain but it will be over with more quickly and you'll have saved valuable energy for your newborn. =) I was sooooo exhausted after labor.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I was induced and had an epidural. Labor was long, but so easy and enjoyable instead of agonizing pain.

Anonymous

• with my first i was inducd and did get the epidural after more than 30 hours of labor, I don't think it slowed it down at all, after i got the epidural it was so easy and fast. With my second I was not induced and didn't get the epidural I wanted it but it went so fast I didn't have time and inducing hurts soooo much more. Without the pitocin it was so much easier than I thought to go with out the epi. Hope everything goes good for you being induced without any pain medication will be hard but you could do it.
    Anonymous

• I was induced with my third and it was the fastest of my labors. only 3.5 hours.
    Anonymous

• You can opt for it or not, it is done either way.
    Avoiding an unnecessary intervention will help to reduce risks, though.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Had the epi with my first two at 7cm. Both babies were born within 15 minutes of getting it.
    kstap_4

Answer by kstap_4 at 6:13 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I was induced with my last two, and had no epidural with any of my 3. My first I was in labor for less than 3 hours (delivered at home, he came so quick). With my second and third, they started the Pitocin drip around 8am, and then the doctor broke my water at around 3pm (I was at 1/2cm). My second was born at 5:45pm, and my youngest was born at 8:28pm. I did get a shot of Nubane with each...10 minutes before delivering my second and about an hour before with my last.
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 6:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2009