Anyone in here a paralegal?

I am handing in my college application this Tuesday! I want to pursue a career as a paralegal. I am excited about the decision. My main concern is the schedule. I know it is a "9-5" job, right? I read there will be constant overtime and working on the weekends. Well my children are young. My youngest is 1 and my oldest is in kindergarten. If you have experience in this career and your kids are young (or were young when you started)...how did you handle your work schedule and their schedule? I'd hate to leave my daughter in daycare for 8 + hours.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2013 in Money & Work

• I am not but I know a few and they are 9-5 but rarely only work 40 hours a week they take work home and they work weekends sometimes. I thinks its great you are going but in the legal field like that they do expect flexibility and you will most likely have to find a family friendly law office or go part time if you don't want your children gone for 9-10 hours per day.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 3:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• Depends on where you're working - for a law firm you'll see more overtime than for a corporation with a legal department. You also have to account for travel - is it somewhere that you'll need to go to court in different areas of the state, or somewhere you're strictly in-house. With a corporation, you're actually more likely to see court, because they'll send you to file paperwork that doesn't need an attorney there (at an attorney's hourly rate) to handle.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• my husband is usually out of work by 5:30 so he could always pick them up from daycare. I just wish my neighbor was more trustworthy.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• It depends. DD is a paralegal. There was a once in a while overtime or weekend but she manages all the other staff as well. The pay is not that great and she would suggest a smaller firm.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2013