Newborn--how much how often?

How much formula did your baby drink when you first brought him/her home? My baby is 4 days old and is only drink 1-1.5 ounces every 3 hours. She's suppose to be drinking 2-4 ounces every 2-3 hours. It worries me BC she was early and only weighed 5lbs 12oz. And she has yellow jaundice.

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Also he hasn't pooped since we've been home (2 days)
    EheartsZ07

Comment by EheartsZ07 (original poster) at 6:02 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• Which one is it. He or she?

It is normal for a person, that includes a baby. Not to shit every day.  I only shit once or twice a week.  I know TMI!  

Baby will eat as much as they want and stop.  Don't force him/her to eat more.

Answer by louise2 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• What did his physician say? I'm still working on my Pediatrics Degree...sorry.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• she is eating, so I wouldn't wory too much, but you could call the doctor in the morning and ask them
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• The jaundice is actually the most worrisome thing. I know that if you were breastfeeding I'd be looking for one change per day of life, and I'd be looking for the meconium to be passed.

Feed her on demand. Not by a clock. If she roots or sucks on hands, feed her. Let her take what she wants.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• Didn't ask for rude comments thank u. I plan to call the Dr but can't until they're open thank you. And I'm pretty sure with jaundice they're suppose to be eating and using the bathroom right. I'm not asking for a diagnosis just OPINIONS.
    EheartsZ07

Comment by EheartsZ07 (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• Pediatricians do have a line for off-hour calls. Or call the nurse line from your insurance company. I am concerned that you haven't seen meconium and my feeling is waiting till tomorrow could be dangerous.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• The baby is only off by a little bit. You can't force it. Give as much as the baby will take.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 6:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• That's fine for only a few days old- the eating
    She should be pooping several times a day though

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2013

• Call the 24 hour line and ask. You may need to visit the hospital.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2013